Another year, and another April Fools Day is in the bag. I am fairly certain that for journalists, April 1st is better than Christmas Day, as it marks the one day where media outlets make the news the wish they could report on daily. And as usual, the imaginations of the motorcycle media pool didn’t fail to disappoint.
David had a wonderful timely piece on Red Bull acquiring the media rights to the MotoGP Championship, ousting Dorna from its position as Bridgepoint Capital cashed out its position. Red Bull has of course had its own issues in the Formula One Championship, and with energy drinks being the new tobacco, the premise was at least plausible.
Speaking of tobacco, we also ran a story about California mandating tabacco-style warning labels for motorcycles, a nod to our more libertarian readers and their growing concerns of “freedom” on two-wheels. Thankfully this story was a complete fabrication and not grounded in any truth, though maybe unfortunately for some, so was David’s piece as well.
How about from the rest of the industry though? In case you missed them, the highlights of April Fools Day are after the jump.
- Government Mandates Autonomous Motorcycles by 2018 – Basem Wasef – About.com
- Moto3: Yamaha Arrives with a Flat Single – André Lecondé – moto.Caradisiac.com
- Valentino Rossi to Quit MotoGP Effective Immediately – MoteGP.com – (Winner of Best Fake Website)
- Pope Francis Made Honorary Hells Angel – Omnimoto.it
- Ducati to Launch Diesel Multistrada Granturismo – Mark Morrison – Ducati News Today
- National Association of Embalmers & Undertakers joins forces with ABATE – Mark Gardiner – Backmarker
- Ural Announces MotoGP Entry Beginning in 2016 – Mark Gardiner – Backmarker
- Valentino Rossi Comes Out – Mark Gardiner – Mark Gardiner – Backmarker – (Best in Show)
- Honda VM4 Coming to the USA – American Honda – (Wait, this one might be true!)
See any that we missed? Spread the love and post them up in the comments! Until next year, dear readers.
Photo: Supersonic Racing Ducati