California Law Mandates “Tobacco” Warning Labels To Be Put on All New Motorcycles Sold in State

04/01/2014 @ 11:34 am, by Jensen Beeler33 COMMENTS

California Law Mandates Tobacco Warning Labels To Be Put on All New Motorcycles Sold in State honda cbr1000rr warning label 635x475

Call it the ever-increasing nanny state, or maybe just blame the liberals in Sacramento who just can’t help themselves, but starting with all 2015 model year bike, motorcycles OEMs will have to affix tobacco-style warning labels to any motorcycle they wish to sell in the great State of California.

Passed this morning, SB 0401 cites the overwhelming statistical evidence that motorcycles are likely to lead to serious injury or death, which has prompted California State Surgeon General Avril Trompez, working with a consortium of Democrat California Senators, to write and pass a bill that would treat motorcycles more like cigarettes when it comes to warning of these “potential” dangers.

The move shouldn’t come as a surprise to those following the political landscape around motorcycles the past couple of years, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have already made it clear that the federal government finds riding motorcycles without a helmet a risky, and financially costly, undertaking.

Take into account the recent push in Congress to defund NHTSA-sponsored motorcycle-only checkpoints, and the American Motorcyclist Association’s efforts to reduce or repeal universal motorcycle helmet laws in various states across the nation, and one can see the volatile state of the industry.

California’s reaction seems to be going the opposite way of the current trend however, with the Golden State opting to implement more restrictive measures for motorcyclists and OEMs, rather than loosening restrictions, as has been seen in other states.

The sentiment of increased protection for motorcyclists mirrors the efforts made by the CDC though, which unsurprisingly had its hand in the crackdown on big tobacco as well. “Frankly, I don’t think the law goes far enough, but it’s a good start,” said the California State Surgeon General. “California has always been a trend-setter, and ten years from now we expect these kind of warning labels to be standard on variety of products, across the United States.”

Speaking about motorcycles specifically State Surgeon General Trompez added that “no one can deny the increase in motorcycle fatalities, even as a percentage of total accidents.”

Outlining plans for a tiered licensing system, mandatory ABS and traction control systems, and a cap of 400cc on all future models, Trompez’s plans are sweeping and controversial — to say the least. For now, the warning labels affixed to 2015 models will be generic messages about motorcycles being hazardous to your health.

By far the most populous state for motorcycling in the United States, today is a sad day for motorcyclists in California.

Source: California Senate Bill 0401

Comment:

1. TheSeaward says:

Tiered licensing — Cool.
    Mandatory ABS and TC — Ehhhhh… Really?
    400cc cap — Oh, go kick rocks.

This smacks of “you’re stupid and should be protected from yourself”.

2. TheSeaward says:

The Red Bull MotoGP article reminded me that it’s April 1st. Please be a joke article. I’ll take being suckered by an April fools article over new motorcycle laws.

3. Geoff Wood says:

Oh good, yet another lame April Fools blog article………

4. mike says:

Obviously April fools. Click the source link.

5. proudAmerican says:

I hope this doesn’t raise the price of new motorcycles in California…

With all the taxes levied on cigarettes already, I do believe most new motorcycles currently cost ‘less’ than a pack of smokes. :-)

6. TheSeaward says:

Alright, I’m dumb. I even got out of bed this morning and thought no one’s going to get me this year.

7. MikeG81 says:

As “April Fools” as it is, knowing the lack of smarts among the elected class, this could happen.

8. majortom says:

It’s funny, the only way you can tell the truth anymore is April 1st! Democrats control Sacramento indeed! I wish we all could be politically incorrect all the time! The truth hurts sometimes to some people.

9. OkSlick says:

How about the label saying “STUPID CAR DRIVER CAN BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH” Cali is a state I would never live in!! they can go bite it!!

10. Jw says:

Er a not gonna believe anything on a and r today

11. We have trained you well.

12. Scott says:

is this an April fools joke ?

13. SkidLid says:

“Avril Trompez”? Bahahaha! Eight years of French lessons serve me well!

14. Richard Gozinya says:

Rick Roll? Really? That’s kind of dated at this point, you could have at least gone with the Trololololo guy.

15. sideswipe says:

Nice one. The sad thing is this doesn’t seem that far fetched.

16. TexusTim says:

in texas we already have a warning label..it called harley davidson…bawawawawawhaha

17. Joe says:

One word: Democrats

18. Ben Rosenberg (@aergern) says:

I love reading joke blog posts like this. I especially love the comments like those @joe and @OkSlick made. It just let’s people stupid flag fly. I love it.

Just like fish to a lure… hooked and exposed. haha.

19. DFR says:

Don’t give the “left coasters” any ideas!

20. Nice one Jensen. An ideal April fool’s prank includes just enough semblance of this could be real

21. tony says:

interestingly i’ve heard it’s only to be on hondas. ridden by someone whose name rhymes with arquez…

22. Ben Rosenberg (@aergern) says:

@DFR At least us “left coasters” can handle lane splitting and it’s legal. :D

So it’s the rest of the world (minus Canada) and the rest of the world that can handle filtering in traffic. I’ll take that over the “freedom” to go lidless any day. ;)

23. Ruth says:

24. afletra says:

April fools or not, I’m partially agree with this one.
    what? everyone gonna punch me on my face? c’mon…just by putting some warning labels on your bike not gonna reduce it’s horse power, right? and will not makes any significant change to your bike either.
    you can always remove those labels after all (considering removed it is not a crime :v )

and…we have to admit that nowadays power-machines are really powerful so that some of them rather overpowered to be an everyday vehicle. you don’t really speeding 300km/h everyday. we almost can say that a superbike/supersport and such is a “suicide tools” with fun.

25. Just so we’re clear, Happy April Fools Day everyone! ;)

26. MotoSoup says:

Joke or not… am I the only one that wants one of those stickers? ;)

27. Chaz Michael Michaels says:

One word: Republicans!

(just thought I’d continue to politicize this lame joke)

28. twoversion says:

Damnit I am over the date line and figured the apocalypse had come to California while I was gone…..

29. David says:

Where is the April Fools “Honda coming out with V4 sportbike” joke.

That one always fakes people out.

30. ADG says:

Ruth says:

“This is stupid! What idiots. I just looked up and saw the April fools, maybe. It should be. What’s next?”

But it’s not far from reality.

What’s next in Cal?…… a licience to carry and conceal an educated mind?

31. Lets face it the average imbecile should not be on a motorcycle, and for most riders their time in the saddle will be the most dangerous thing they’ll ever do in their lives.

Personally I think if you want to own a motorcycle, or own a firearm, you should go through a stringent series of testing, where you have to prove your ability to do so safely And competently, before you receive a license to handle these extremely dangerous objects. Cars as well for that matter.

32. Ben Rosenberg (@aergern) says:

I find it amazing that so many of my riding brothers are STILL commenting on an APRIL FOOL’S JOKE post 21 days later. I guess there are more faulty douche nozzles out there who hate California then folks who GET it. sheesh.