Video: The Unholy Two-Wheeled Motorcycle Burnout

11/26/2013 @ 1:01 pm, by Jensen Beeler6 COMMENTS

Video: The Unholy Two Wheeled Motorcycle Burnout two wheeled burnout 635x423

Motorcycling’s two-wheeled culture has seemed resistant to two-wheel drive machines, but maybe this video will be the breakthrough moment. After all, if one-wheeled burnouts are cool, then two-wheeled ones have to be twice as cool, right?

The logical conclusion to one of the more illogical undertakings we have seen, Gregor Halenda set out to convert his KTM Adventure 990 to use a Christini AWD system, and drive the bike’s front wheel for ultimate off-roadability. You know…because.

The process was not easy one, and it involved a bit of engineering prowess on the part of Cosentino Engineering to get the job done; but the result of all that hard work is a truly unique machine, and of course an epic two-wheeled burnout video.

There is a massive build thread on the ADV Rider forum for you gear-heads to spend hours poring over, and for the less technically advanced, there is a 2WD drive for dummies explanation in the video. Enjoy!

Source: Gregor Halenda

Comment:

1. Manny varela says:

Thanks for the post Jensen, nice video.
    Im surely gonna enjoy that post at agv,
    Love the technical sh!
    Your the Man!

2. paulus says:

This is a technology who’s time has come.
    Ohlins made a fantastic hydraulic system in the 90′s… much cleaner, no chains.
    Unfortunately, it was ahead of it’s time for many reasons.
    This could work great for certain motorcycles….

3. LoneStarBR says:

In this day and age of integrated ; smart everything, this looks a little clunky. I would much rather see a super light weight kers type arrangement that does not have 10 times too much power at the front , but rather instant torque on the front only to aid traction when you pull a finger trigger , or better yet when X % of back wheel spin is detected – this looks kinda fun and all but it would really take some time to get used to it and use it to your advantage in a race; not to mention it robs lots of power.
    All that said, it would be a hoot to do 2 tire burn outs!

4. Bob says:

LoneStar, you should do a google search before making assumptions on how it works.

I have a Christini. A Honda 450X. On the dyno, disengaged, I make 37 RWHP. Engaged, 37 RWHP. There’s probably a 1/2 HP missing that’s undetected and the heatsoak and knobbies might add that error, but, still the RWHP difference is negligible.

Also, the front is driven at a ratio to the rear wheel and it is not 1:1. When the rear wheel slips a given amount the front only then kicks in. Otherwise, the front freewheels. There are 3 ratios to choose from. I went for the .83:1 ratio which is their highest offering. It allows the front to kick in sooner than the others. I can still spin the rear around a bit in the hairpins in the woods but the front does want to pull you forward while doing it…so donuts are out unless you turn it off. But I chose this ratio because of all the deep soft sand I ride in. I can stay rolling on top of the sand rather than trying to plow it and burying my front wheel. This, in itself uses a whole lot less HP to get through it and less wasted gas and lower engine temps. It’s come in handy for some real difficult climbs when it’s slick and rooted and I’ve gone through long mud washes that others get buried in and stuck.

The last thing you would want is to have to manually trigger the thing on and off. You’d be doing it every second of your ride, depending on the conditions. Like I said, it freewheels until it slips a certain amount, then it grabs.

I leave it on full time as it costs me nothing. Engage and forget. It kicks in when needed. So your momentum doesn’t change and you keep pulling straight.

The only downsides are 15 more pounds on the bike and more mechanicals to maintain.

5. Greg says:

@Bob Thank you for sharing your experience! I´ve heard about AWD enduro bikes, hydraulic system, 90s Dakar or something, i even think it was a factory project (yamaha?). I have also seen a AWD Mountain Bike, but with cogwheel system similar to the shown bike in the video (i think t was a bike by JEEP) – way heavier than average mountainbikes and people who rode it say a lot of energy gets lost in the transmission. You already said it does not happen to your bike, so this question is sorted out.
    Maybe with todays technology the best way would be to use an electric engine in the front wheel (like seen on those electric bycicles), so ther are less parts an less weight, maybe more avayable power too (the combustion engine does not have to share the power). Im not an engineer, so please forgive me if it does not make sense ;)

@Bob … i guess yours is cogwheel driven too? My question is; is there a clutch or something in the drivetrain? Or in other words; does the front wheel/rear wheel block if you apply one seperate brake? / Does it have any effect on the other wheel? Or; are the wheels permanently attached to each other by the drivetrain? I´m curious :)

6. LoneStarBR says:

Dear Bob,
    Thank you for your respectful and informative response to my post – now I know! I only want to slightly defend that fact that I did include the idea of automatic engagement when wheel spin is detected ! :) Well stated and I appreciate hands on insight.
    Respectfully,