Now 167 hp strong, those crazy Italians in Noale are upgrading there already stout Aprilia Tuono V4 R APRC for the 2014 model year, and for bonus points are adding an ABS package along with those extra ponies on the streetfighter’s peak horsepower figure.
Integrating the Bosch 9MP dual-channel ABS package, which is mated to Brembo M432 brake calipers up-front, Aprilia has made the 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 R a bit more stable while braking on questionable road conditions — keeping the bike inline with its competitors.
With a bevy of changes coming to the Tuono’s 999.6cc V4 power plant to boost power, we also see that Aprilia has included its second-generation APRC electronics package to the motorcycle, making it easily the most tech-savvy machine in its category.
Other changes include also a larger fuel tank (4.9 gallons), and a new seat for better street performance and ergonomics. It’s not clear if Aprilia USA will price the 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 R at its previous $14,999 MSRP, or will continue its aggressive pricing at $13,999, like the company has done with the 2013 models.
Having ridden the 2013 model, we can attest to the class-leading performance of the Aprilia Tuono V4 R APRC, and seeing the updates given here by Aprilia for the 2014 model, we can only imagine the bar has been set even higher by the Italian company.
Easily the superior machine to the Ducati Streetfighter 1098 (and Ducati Streetfighter 848), it will be interesting to see what BMW can bring to the party with its often spied BMW S1000RR-derived naked bike.
Modifications to the 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 R Engine:
- Revised timing system
- Fixed intake ducts now 20 mm longer.
- Crankshaft flywheel with increased inertia for improved smoothness and overall balance.
- Shorter ratios in the first three gears
- Maximum power dropped to 11,500 rpm
2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 R APRC ABS Technical Specifications:
- Engine type: Aprilia longitudinal 65° V-4 cylinder, 4-stroke, liquid cooling system, double overhead camshafts (DOHC), four valves per cylinder
- Bore and stroke: 78 x 52.3 mm
- Total engine capacity: 999.6 cc
- Compression ratio: 13:1
- Maximum power at crankshaft: 167 HP (125 kW) at 11,500 rpm
- Maximum torque at crankshaft: 111.5 Nm at 9,500 rpm
- Fuel system: Airbox with front dynamic air intakes; 4 Weber-Marelli 48-mm throttle bodies with 4 injectors and latest generation Ride-by-Wire engine management.
- Choice of three different engine maps selectable by the rider with bike in motion: T (Track), S (Sport), R (Road)
- Ignition: Magneti Marelli digital electronic ignition system integrated in engine control system, with one spark plug per cylinder and “stick-coil” type coils
- Start up: Electric
- Exhaust system: 4 into 2 into 1 layout, single oxygen sensor, lateral single silencer with ECU-controlled bypass valve and integrated trivalent catalytic converter (Euro 3)
- Alternator: Flywheel mounted 450W alternator with rare earth magnets
- Lubrication: Wet sump lubrication system with oil radiator and two oil pumps (lubrication and cooling)
- Gearbox: 6-speed cassette type gearbox: 1st: 39/15 (2,600); 2nd: 33/16 (2.063); 3rd: 34/20 (1,700); 4th: 32/22 (1,455); 5th: 34/26 (1,308); 6th: 33/27 (1,222); Gear lever with Aprilia Quick Shift electronic system (aQS)
- Clutch: Multiplate wet clutch
- Primary drive: Straight cut gears and integrated flexible coupling, drive ratio: 73/44 (1,659)
- Secondary drive: Chain: Drive ratio: 42/16 (2,625)
- Traction management: APRC System (Aprilia Performance Ride Control), which includes Traction Control (aTC), Wheelie Control (aWC), Launch Control (aLC), all of which can be configured and deactivated independently.
- Aluminum dual beam chassis with pressed and cast sheet elements.
- Steering Damper: Sachs
- Front suspension: Sachs upside-down “one by one” fork, stanchions 43 mm. Forged aluminum feet for radial calliper mounting; Completely adjustable spring preload and hydraulic compression and rebound damping; Wheel travel: 120 mm
- Rear suspension: Double braced aluminum swingarm; mixed low thickness and sheet casting technology; Sachs piggy back monoshock with completely adjustable: spring preload and hydraulic compression and rebound damping. APS progressive linkage; Wheel travel: 130 mm
- Front Brakes: Dual 320 mm floating stainless steel discs with lightweight stainless steel rotor with 6 studs. Brembo monobloc radial callipers M432 with 4 horizontally opposed 32 mm Ø pistons. Sintered pads. Axial pump master cylinder and metal braided brake hoses.
- Rear Brakes: 220 mm diameter disc; Brembo floating calliper with two 32-mm isolated pistons. Sintered pads. Pump with integrated tank and metal braided hose.
- ABS: Bosch 9MP, adjustable on 3 maps, featuring RLM strategy and disconnectable.
- Wheel rims: Cast aluminum wheels with 3 split spoke design: Front.:3.5”X17”; Rear: 6.00”X17”
- Tires: Radial tubeless, Front: 120/70 ZR 17; Rear: 190/55 ZR 17 (alternative: 190/50 ZR 17; 200/55 ZR 17)
- Max. length: 81.2 inches
- Max. width: 31.4 inches (at the handlebar)
- Max. height: 42.9 inches
- Min. height from the ground: 4.9 inches
- Saddle height: 32.8 inches
- Wheelbase: 56.8 inches
- Trail: 4.2 inches
- Steering angle: 25°
- Dry weight: 408 lbs
- Tank: 18.5 liters (4.88 gallons)