Aprilia Tuono V4 R Finally Coming to America – $14,999

12/01/2011 @ 10:33 am, by Jensen Beeler18 COMMENTS

Aprilia Tuono V4 R Finally Coming to America   $14,999 2011 aprilia tuono v4 r 635x540

You wouldn’t know that the Aprilia Tuono V4 R even existed if you went to Aprilia’s USA website, though the fire sale of the older Tuono 1000 should at least raise an eyebrow. That being said, Aprilia USA is set to bring the new, as in debuted at EICMA last year, Aprilia Tuono V4 R to our American shores. Set to hit dealers in March 2012, Aprilia USA has at least gotten one thing right with the 2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 R, and priced the streetfightered RSV4 with $14,999 MSRP.

That puts the base model Aprilia Tuono V4 R a full $4,000 cheaper than the $18,995 MSRP 2012 Ducati Streetfighter S, and $2,000 more than the $12,995 MSRP Ducati Streetfighter 848. With that price point, Aprilia has aggressively positioned the Tuono V4 R against Ducati, its biggest competition in the performance-oriented street-naked segment. With 167hp on tap, there is plenty to get excited about with the Aprilia Tuono V4 R, and true to its ethos, the Tuono V4 R is basically a de-tuned Aprilia RSV4 R superbike without its fairings.

However like its superbike sibling, we predict that the Aprilia Tuono V4 R will still amount to another disappointment for the Noale brand in the American market. As one major motorcycle OEM CEO told us regarding the Aprilia RSV4 last year, the Aprilia was the best machine on the market for 2010, but flopped at the dealers compared to its competition — that’s not a product problem, that’s a marketing/business problem. With nary a mention of the 2012 Aprilia Tuono V4R on the Aprilia’s website here in the USA, we’d be inclined to agree with that CEO’s assessment.

Still, if given the chance we’d love to ride the new Tuono. With a Ducati Streetfighter 1098 already in this writer’s personal garage, I’d be very curious to see how Noale’s offering stacks up, especially if the APRC version, with its well-touted electronic rider aid package, showed up in our testing queue. Don’t worry though dear readers, Asphalt & Rubber doesn’t plan on changing its “we tell OEMs that send checks with bikes to fuck off” policy.

2011 2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 R Photos:

Source: MotorcycleUSA

Comment:

1. DareN says:

Jensen,
    You would not know that Aprilia existed,period! (in US ,that is). No display at IMS, no bikes at the Illinois dealer close to me. And that comes from former happy owner of Falco…

2. AK says:

Big fan of RSV models but there is no dealer in whole Indiana… they need to step up.

3. Bruce says:

With the departure of Rick in the Aprilia marketing department and a fairly new CEO of Piaggio USA, one can only hope that Aprilia can get their act together. I’ve owned 8 Aprilias in including my current RSV4 and I can vouch for the quality and fun-factor of their products. But there is no excuse for the poor dealer network and worse marketing. They won the 2010 World Superbike Championship and failed to capitalize on that in any significant USA marketing. They don’t have a presence at the Progressive IMS, they had no presence in the manufacturers area of the Indy MotoGP in spite of the fact that they were practically the entire grid of the 125 class. One Aprilia rep told me, “well, we don’t run in the premier class”. Sorry, but neither does Harley-Davidson, BMW, or KTM and they were all present. They funded a laughably small dealer exhibit at the AMA Pro Race at NJMP, that the dealer told me he received a week’s notice for. I drive several hours to have my bike serviced by a competent dealer, because the 2 dealers closest to me know far less about their product than I do. I will continue to support the product in spite of Aprilia USA only because they are fine machines and I have found a decent dealer. However, they need a complete marketing department overall if they ever expect to capture more market share.

4. Jake Fox says:

+1 what others here have said. Also, I’ve seen better designed myspace pages than their US website.

5. Shawn says:

Myspace, what’s that? J/K Notice the lack of a clutch fluid reservoir.

6. Shawn D says:

^^ Clutch fluid reservoir? I’m no mechanic but isn’t the clutch in the same oil bath as the tranny… and the motor?

7. Shaitan says:

I dig Aprilia bikes in general, but after talking to several dealerships I’d never buy one as my main bike because parts support is lacking — at least where I live. The old Tuono was AWESOME, but heavy; the new one sounds amazing. Hopefully Aprilia has made the RSV-4 motor more reliable.

8. Rob says:

He meant clutch reservoir as in the clutch being actuated via hydraulic. Yes the clutch is bathed in the same oil as the crankshaft. However, clutches on ALL RSV4s are cable driven.

9. Andrey says:

Great article Jensen. A couple of points:
    1. Piaggio are clearly inept. Look at their poor marketing of Aprilia and their hopeless treatment of Moto Guzzi. They are handing a lot of market share to Ducati et al with their lack of customer focus and poor marketing management.
    2. Bike still doesn’t have a distinctive “look” in my opinion… styling remains awkward and uninspired. Looks like it was designed by a committee. Not a PATCH on the StreetFighter.

and most importantly:

3. Congrats to you for owning one of the best bikes on the planet! The StreetFighter is one amazing machine! …. and it looks the business as well. Any photos of your bike anywhere?

I see, still looking as FUGLY AS EVER…man, what a shame.

Sorry guys, it might the ultimate naked street/track weapon out there, but if i can’t stare at it while parked for hours it just won’t happen with me.

To think at one point i thought the previous Gen was the ugliest bike they could come out with but they have surely raise the bar here, by a lot…

And to add insult to injury no less to a platform that underpins one of THE BEST LOOKING sport bikes out there…

P.S: I like the first gen RSV4 angular muffler design better than this, this looks too “organic”…

Ok, done bitchin here…lol.

11. Jake Fox says:

Disagree. I quite like how it looks and would be happy to own one, if only they had a better dealer network in place.

12. Damo says:

@Bruce

I agree 100%. I huge aprilia fan and my 2003 Mille is my favorite machine, but I have to order all my parts from Texas (I live in New England) because the dealer network is so weak.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a new RSV4, but the closest place I can even sit on one is four hours away! Meanwhile I can got sit on a Ducati, KTM, BMW or any of the major Japanese brands all within a 30 minute drive.

They need to up their marketing in the US. Hell I still go to group charity rides up here and people show up that don’t even know what an aprilia is!

13. Bob says:

I much prefered the FV2 concept they did a couple years ago. Now, that is one bad ass looking bike. This Tuono is far too close to the RSV4 in looks that I’d just rather get the RSV4. All they did was lop off the windscreen and hack away part of the side panels. Otherwise they look alike. A rather poor attempt at distinguishing one from the other. Even Harley Davidson does more changes between models of the same family.

14. Bruce says:

@Damo,

I’m in central New York, but IMO there is a strong dealer in CT and one in NH. Not sure where you are but perhaps one of those is close.

15. Damo says:

@Bruce

I live an hour south of Boston. Could you post up those dealers? I spend alot of time in southern NH, I would love to go browse in person and check out their parts department.

I will admit though, it will be a sad day when I finally get rid of my Rotax powered Ape.

16. Faust says:

@Damo

You know you’re going to end up on a CBR anyway, so stop lying to yourself!

@Faust:

ROTFL. U’ve made my night. Thanks.

18. Damo says:

@Faust

+1 Mate, you’re probably right, haha.