Aprilia Tuono V4 R Photos and Video

04/13/2011 @ 9:27 am, by Jensen Beeler15 COMMENTS

Aprilia Tuono V4 R Photos and Video 2011 Aprilia Tuono V4 R 635x396

The Piaggio Group launched the 2011 Aprilia Tuono V4 R to the press this past weekend in Valencia, letting the maximum power street-naked out of its shell for the first time. We’ve already hypothesized that electronics are the new horsepower, but Aprilia is seemingly hedging its bets, supplying the Tuono V4 R with not only its WSBK derived APRC electronics package, but also 167hp on tap.

What’s not to like about a bike distilled from the potent Aprilia RSV4, right? Well it does have a face only a mother could love, but we’ve got plenty of paper bags to fix that problem if one shows up in our garage. The mother load of pictures is after the jump (how does the yellow paint grab you?), along with a fairly painful to watch promo video (really guys, we need to stop with the 30 second “dive! dive! dive!” warning horn).

Source: Aprilia UK

Comment:

1. BBQdog says:

Not too bad. Put some clip-on’s on the bike, remove this ugly little spoiler and you have got a naked version of de RSV4. Says one that is still dreaming of an 145kg dry RSV 550 …..

2. You’d want a bike that has like 1,500 mile service intervals? I think the SXV 450/550 is a cool bike, but it was not designed for street use.

3. Tim says:

“You’d want a bike that has like 1,500 mile service intervals? I think the SXV 450/550 is a cool bike, but it was not designed for street use.”

I don’t think any of us would want that, but I wouldn’t mind if they’d de-tune it down to 60 reliable hp and keep it ultra lightweight.

4. DS says:

looks better than the previous Tuono

5. Other Sean says:

Yes, it has the face of an owl, but it is prettier than the last one. I like it. The video is borderline homo-erotic though…

6. motonext says:

@ Chris Fetherston – He he he thats a pretty good catch.

7. Damo says:

I have been following this bike for a long time. I look forward to seeing a full road test in the near future. On paper it should ruthlessly smoke any other production naked on the market.

I love the RSV4, but the ergos are a bit cramped for my 6’2″, 200 pound frame.

8. BBQdog says:

” You’d want a bike that has like 1,500 mile service intervals ?”

Did I say that Jensen ?? I would like to have a proper 550 with 6-speed gearbox, not 5,
    and I am pretty sure if Aprilia would be able to re-design the existing engine it could
    be free of problems.

9. ed says:

wheelbase comparision: rsv4r, 1420 mm; speed triple, 1435 mm; monster 1100, 1450 mm

10. ohio says:

God, that video is awful. Bad enough that it actually turns me off of the bike. To be fair, I already disliked it because they forgot to make their naked bike naked, and detuned the motor.

I’ll take the RSV4 and just Tuono-ize it myself, thanks very much. Just pull the plastics, buy the Tuono upper triple, and some decent looking headlights on there (e.g. http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/496363/340910.jpg)

GOD THAT THING IS FUGLY. Headlight Pod looks like an Ant’s head ” In Shock and Awe” about to hit a brick wall.
    Maybe if they had used Reflectors instead of Projectors ?
    I agree with Ohio…TOO MUCH Plastic.
    Video was Meh…maybe if i was a girl i would “get it” ? LMAO.

I need to get it out of the system, bear with me…….MAN THAT THING IS FUGLY!…Better now.

12. 1198freak says:

From the front it looks like Bumblebee from the Transformers, or WALL-E

13. Jeram says:

@tim

Or you could just buy an RS250 and have a faster bike, more reliable bike….

add a pipe, programable ignition and you’l have more power than a race modified 550…. and thats without even touching the rs250 internals….

why crave a 550 when aprilia has already produced what many regard as ‘perfection on wheels’

14. merkenpride says:

it still looks comically small. except for that noggin. like an orange on a toothpick.