The wait is finally over on what Suzuki has been brewing for its middleweight adventure bike offering. Through some HTML trickery, we were able to glean this unreleased information off the Suzuki website, and as such are bringing you the first photos, technical specifications, and design features on the 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS. An evolution of the current V-Strom 650, the new middleweight V-Strom is longer, taller, and lighter than its predecessor, while boasting an updated look to the aging V-Strom exterior.
If you were expecting more, and feel let down…welcome to the club. Though this represents a large portion of the information Suzuki plans on unveiling in the coming days, we still have some unanswered questions: like what’s been changed in the motor (we have yet to see any power figures quoted), though the general specifications on the 645cc v-twin lump appear to be the same. More as we get it. Find the massively underwhelming leaked photos, details, and specifications after the jump. Thanks for the tip Yellow Ranger!
Design Features of the 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS:
- Compact, slim styling featuring a vivid combination of expressive painted sections and functional black resin components accentuates the sporty profile.
- The sporty, dynamic front fairing houses compact dual multi-reflector headlight delivering superb light distribution.
- Stylish and functional front air intakes and side air outlets contribute to both looks and rider comfort.
- 3-way height-adjustable windscreen, carefully shaped with extensive wind tunnel testing, efficiently reduces wind noise and rider fatigue.
- Comfortable riding position composed with a well-shaped seat, slim 20-liter fuel tank and compactly tucked-in frame covers make the rider feel at one with the machine.
- Functional seat, combining red-stitched leather-look sections and suede-look, slip-resistant surfaces, and topped with an embossed V-Strom logo.
- The upswept muffler, topped with a silver cover and a buffed-finish end cap is gracing the rear end.
- Lightweight resin luggage carrier comes with a slip-resistant rubber mat and is one piece with well-shaped, easy-to-grasp grab bars.
- Instruments with an analog tachometer and brightness-adjustable LCD speedometer. LCD readouts include odometer, dual trip meter, gear position, coolant and ambient temperature, average fuel consumption, fuel gauge and clock.
- Switching between LCD readings can be done with the left handlebar switch.
- LED indicators include a road freeze warning indicator which, together with the ambient temperature display, helps riders’ awareness of road conditions.
- 645cm3 V-Twin engine features broad torque delivery, signature V-Twin power pulses and sporty quick-revving high rpm range power surges for a full-range riding enjoyment.
- Efficient engine designs deliver high mileage and class-leading riding range.
- Radiator with a more compact core, flanked by wind-directing plates shaped with holes* for enhancing cooling efficiency and allowing hot radiator air to flow out to the side air outlets and away from the rider’s legs.(*Suzuki-patented design.)
- The fuel injection system uses fine-atomization 10-hole fuel injectors for high combustion efficiency.
- The 6-speed transmission is tailored for active sporty rides with tighter 1st through 5th gear ratios, while keeping highway cruises comfortable with a tall top gear.
- A high-speed 32-bit ECU controls Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) system, contributing to enhanced low-to-mid rpm range torque, a linear throttle response and lower emissions.
- Twin iridium spark plugs for each cylinder heighten the spark strength and combustion efficiency, contributing to increased power, a more linear throttle response, easier engine start-up and a more stable idle.
- Suzuki-developed and patented Throttle-body Integrated Idle Speed Control (TI-ISC) contributes to easy cold starting, stable idle and lower emissions.
- Lightweight and rigid twin-spar aluminum-alloy frame and swingarm contribute to smooth handling performance and well-poised running at high-speeds.
- Spring-preload-adjustable 43mm-stanchion-tube front forks and link-type rear suspension with rebound stepless damping adjuster as well as a preload adjuster.
- 19-inch front and 17-inch rear radial tires specifically designed for the V-Strom 650 ABS.
- Front dual 310mm-disc brakes and rear 260mm-disc brake deliver smooth, controllable stopping power. Expansion-resistant high-pressure brake hose enhances the responsive brake feel.
- Antilock Brake System (ABS)* unit features a lightweight, compact design. The ABS monitors wheel speed, and matches stopping power to available traction.
*Please note that ABS is a supplemental device for brake operation, not a device for shortening stopping distance. Always remember to reduce speed sufficiently before approaching curves and corners.
- Transponder-type Suzuki Advanced Immobilizer System (SAIS) helps prevent theft with an electronic code ID system built into the owner’s key.(excluding North American specifications)
- A wide selection of Suzuki Genuine Accessories, designed for a smooth, easy fit with the V-Strom 650 ABS, adds to both adventure tourer profile and function.
Technical Specifications of the 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS:
|Engine Type||4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 90°V-Twin|
|Bore x Stroke||81.0 mm x 62.6 mm (3.2 in x 2.5 in)|
|Engine Displacement||645 cm3 (40.2 cu.in)|
|Compression Ratio||11.2 : 1|
|Oil Capacity (overhaul)||3.0 L (3.2 / 2.6 US / Imp qt)|
|Starter System||Electronic ignition (Transistorized)|
|Lubrication System||Wet sump|
|Transmission||6-speed constant mesh|
|Primary Reduction Ratio||2.088 (71 / 34)|
|Final Reduction Ratio||3.133 (47 / 15)|
|Rake/Trail||26°/ 110 mm (4.3 in)|
|Suspension||Front||Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped|
|Rear||Link type, coil spring, oil damped|
|Fuel tank||20.0 L (5.3 / 4.4 US / Imp gal)|
|Overall length||2,290 mm (90.2 in)|
|Overall Width||835 mm (32.9 in)|
|Overall height||1,405 mm (55.3 in)|
|Wheelbase||1,560 mm (61.4 in)|
|Seat height||835 mm (32.9 in)|
|Curb mass||214 kg (472 lbs)|