Yamaha USA Swallows Up Yamaha Canada

10/04/2011 @ 6:55 pm, by Jensen Beeler17 COMMENTS

Yamaha USA Swallows Up Yamaha Canada 2011 Yamaha Fazer 8 635x476

The past recession, and its possible double-dipping nature, still has the motorcycle industry on its heels. This fact can be no better exemplified than by the latest move from Yamaha, whose board of directors recently voted to merge its North American operations under one roof. In an effort to restructure itself more appropriately, Yamaha Motor Canada will become a subsidiary of Yamaha Motor USA, which would in turn take responsibility for the entire North American market.

Yamaha likely is undertaking the move because of the operational similarities between the previously separate entities, not to mention the savings involved by reducing  the redundancy). The move places Yamaha Canada as one of Yamaha USA’s 10 subsidiary divisions, which includes the company’s North American manufacturing, Skeeter Products, Tennessee Watercraft, and six others. The result of this business move should have little impact on what consumers in either the US or Canadian market experience.

Source: Yamaha Motor Corporation via Motorcycle.com

Comment:

1. John says:

Any chance we could buy the YZF-R125 here in the states?

2. Tenefly says:

Good, now tell them to bring the XT660Z Tenere to the USA.

3. Beary says:

2 spelling errors in the very first sentence ;)

4. Mick says:

Sorry guys, even us Canucks don’t see the YZF-R125 or the XT660Z Tenere! Wish we did…

5. SBPilot says:

Maybe this means more of a road-racing program from Yamaha here in Canada, cause right now we go nothing. Fingers crossed.

6. Brammofan says:

@Beary They spell things differently on the west coast.

7. motomoto2 says:

We don’t really have a Yamaha road racing program here either (SBPilot). Josh’s effort way predominantly the magic of Graves.. And the once proud Yamaha racing legacy has all but disappeared all over the world.

The a-holes at Yamaha screwed World Superbike,, The actually have little to nothing to do with World Supersport, yet they take credit for Chaz Davies exceptional privateer win championship, on Cal Crutchlows 2 year old R6. They didn’t invest diddly in their weezing gp engine this year, effectively denying Lorenzo any opportunity of repeating as champion.

No, Yamaha was one great,, now they are simple pathetic. If your an aspiring racer, you would be an idiot to campaign one of their machines as there really isn’t any program/budget/platform to develop the works bits.

yeah I’m bitter, and my eyes are wide open. Yamaha makes piano’s

8. Shawn says:

It’d be nice if Canada got closer to price parity with the US. Now that Yamaha Canada can’t cite economies of scale for higher prices, perhaps the Yamaha prices will come down.

9. Shaitan says:

Cool. Maybe we’ll start getting some of the Euro/Canadian models and paint jobs. Just sayin.

10. mxs says:

It will let them lay some people off, but I cannot see how customers would benefit. Doesn’t matter how close USD to CAD is, we will always pay more up here. We don’t get anymore interesting bikes than US does, so no benefit or hope for US customers to see some of the Euro bikes.

It’s just good for Yamaha to try to stop the bleeding, or at least to lower the flow …

11. Mick says:

Yamaha has just reduced pricing on their entire motorcycle lineup in Canada – not to the general public yet – but there are some significant price reductions on all models that will be announced. And in the odd case, some bikes are less in Canada than in the US.

Unless this means i can hope to buy an MT-01 from my local Yamaha dealer…this is as relevant to me as ” when will The Sun run out of fuel and go dark ? “…

U get the point…LOL.

13. fish_bate says:

I’ve seen companies in other industries do this for the same reasons as Yamaha. Specifically in the appliance and electronics industries. By “reducing the redundancy”, parts distribution warehouses were closed in Canada and all parts come up from the US. This always adds much more time to estimated parts distribution times that are originally projected. ALWAYS. This adds time to major warranty repairs. As well, because of the increased cost of shipping, replacement parts prices shot up North of the border. So, if you’re happy with Yamaha parts and service in Canada, you might not be a year from now.

14. SBPilot says:

@ motomoto2, are you an ex Yamaha racer that got shafted? just kidding.
    But I do agree that Yamaha’s world “efforts” are mainly privateers. Everyone knows Chaz’s bikes are so old. It’s also strange how Yamaha couldn’t find a title sponsor for both their WSBK team or MotoGP team.
    So the AMA effort is mainly a Graves privateer job as well eh? “Yamaha makes Piano” haha, you sound like a good friend of mine, he’s not into Yamaha’s because they make instruments.

Truthfully I race an R1, and have ridden the ex-Factory Yamaha Canada R1’s and R6’s at tests (they were fun) but at my level (just novice club racing) I’m not really picking brands through what they do, it’s more like ride the best deal bike out there. I’d personally like to be riding a Honda. Wait, forget that I’d rather be on a S1000RR, if only my pockets were that deep.

15. hello there and thanks in your info ? I have definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical issues using this web site, as I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I have been puzzling over if your web host is OK? No longer that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading cases times will often affect your placement in google and can harm your quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much extra of your respective fascinating content. Make sure you replace this again soon..