Triumph Entering the Indian Market

06/29/2011 @ 10:48 am, by Jensen Beeler7 COMMENTS

Triumph Entering the Indian Market 2011 Triumph Daytona 675R 635x423

If you follow where the volume and the growth in the motorcycle industry come from, then it should be no surprise to hear that Triumph has announced its intention to enter the Indian market with its motorcycles. The 109-year-old brand based out of Hinckley is just the latest of many major OEMs to enter India, whose high tariffs and exploding market necessitate a local presence by manufacturers in order to be competitive. Rest assured the rest of this post will be devoid of any mention of the irony in the British brand entering into the once British colonial market of India.

Triumph has appointed Ashish Joshi as its Managing Director for India, who prior to joining Triumph, was head of the European operations for Royal Enfield. Joshi helped establish Royal Enfield’s European presence, and has over 16 years of experience in Asia and Europe.

Commenting on Triumph’s entry to the Indian market, Nick Bloor, CEO of Triumph Motorcycles, said “India is a very important motorcycle market and Triumph has assessed it carefully before deciding to step in. We see it as the next step in our global business model. The appointment of Ashish Joshi is a signal of our seriousness about success in India. I wish him the best and look forward to comprehensive growth from the Indian market.”

Source: Triumph

Comment:

1. ZeitgeistXIII says:

High tariffs, ahh protectionism at its best. Yet if the states did that to them we would be seen as protectionists. Maybe the WTO will step in and help. lol Good luck Triumph I guess you can move your Thai operation there or just be like everybody else and close even more of the UK side of production.

2. Bob says:

And in 3 years, there will be 1/2 of Hinkley line workers on the dole, having been made redundant due to seeing how cheap it is to produce parts out of India. The other half of the employees will be afixing stickers on the frame that say “proudly assembled in Hinkley, England.”

If that happens, I won’t have another Triumph in my garage. If everyone else follws suit, will they think it was worth it, all for a piece of the Indian market? Perhaps if Triumph made a small displacement 350-500cc jsut for their market, then I may not be so against it. But I doubt it.

3. Rob says:

^^ who cares, many of the current bikes are great products and they’re made in Thailand. I too would rather a company stay true to its roots, but maybe thats the patriot in me. As long as they keep pumping out great products at competitive prices, they’ll get me to keep buying.

4. Jean-Paul says:

I’m a little unclear as to what the problem is. A manufacturing plant in India creates bikes for the Indian market (I’m assuming). Is the expectation that the Indian manufacturing plant will become the only manufacturing plant for Triumph? I honestly doubt that.

With respect to tariffs and protectionism, most countries have high tariffs (including the USA). That’s why foreign companies open up plants here in the United States. I’m thinking of automobile companies in particular (BMW, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, etc..). They need to build plants here to increase the volume of sales. I don’t see what the difference is with what India is doing.

Just out of curiosity….. what bikes are made in Thailand? It seems that parts are outsourced to companies in Thailand, but bikes themselves?

5. BBQdog says:

“Just out of curiosity….. what bikes are made in Thailand?”

The Honda CBR 250 R and the Kawasaki Ninja 250 are both build in Thailand.
    I don’t know if all parts like engines and frames are also produces there.

6. joe says:

It is alleged the Bonneville is made in Thailand, for export. The US had tariffs created specifically to protect harley in the early 70′s I believe. Most bikes produced for India will be small displacement, an Enfield is still a large bike in that market. It is possible that only bikes for that market will be produced there. We will see

7. Thai-umph says:

Air cooled twins (Bonnies, Scramblers, Americas etc.) and all Rocket III series are built (and exported complete) from Thailand.
    675 & 1050 series are still Hinkley (although I haven’t checked for a while).
    (Theoretically) Triumph’s policy is to build a model for two years at Hinckley to iron out any bugs before consideration is given to moving production away from the old dart…
    Having said that the first major update of the twins (fuel injection) was wholly implemented in Thailand AFAIK.
    This of course makes me wonder where the 800 comes from.