Skully Helmets Debuts Integrated HUD Helmet

01/03/2014 @ 1:09 pm, by Aakash Desai15 COMMENTS

Skully Helmets Debuts Integrated HUD Helmet skully helmet black 635x357

Bay Area based startup, Skully Helmets, has a unique solution for the future motorcycle heads-up display (HUD) market. While other players like Nuviz and Bike HUD are developing add-on solutions for your existing helmet, Skully intends to introduce a fully integrated, standalone helmet system that internally incorporates the HUD display tech, in addition to other features.

In addition to normal HUD information features such as turn-by-turn navigation, smartphone integration, and Bluetooth connectivity, the Skully AR-1 features a 180-degree rear-view camera that affords the rider a digital representation of what’s going on behind them. Along with the fully integrated system, the rear-view camera is a major feature that sets Skully apart from its competitors.

Enthusiasts will be able to add to Skully’s system abilities, as the company plans on releasing an SDK (software development kit) for developers. In addition to all this, the Skully AR-1 is a full-featured helmet behind all the next-gen tech; it will feature ECE and DOT certification as well as a anti-fog visor with quick-release.

What remains to be revealed is an actual release date (they estimate sometime in 2014) and price, but currently you can go on the company’s website and register to be a beta tester.

With the Nuviz coming in at around $600, we expect the Skully helmet to come in easily over $1000. Which begs the question, will riders be willing to pay the premium for the convenience, aesthetics and simplicity of integrated HUD?

Time will tell. Either way, the market for high-tech rider information technology is shaping up to be a highly relevant and exciting field.

Skully Helmets Debuts Integrated HUD Helmet skully helmet hud 635x356

Source: Skully Helmets

Comment:

1. Andrew says:

I wonder how much it all weights… and where is the power coming from? Would the rider have to plug into the bike or wear a battery on their body, or is the battery integrated into the helmet? I think it’s sort of interesting in principle, but would I pay thousand bucks for it? I don’t think so. Truth is I don’t really need most of these gadgets and while I like rear-view camera, for that I’d be more inclined to go with Reevu helmet which uses a simple system of mirrors – no power required.

2. jet says:

I’m going to get one,soon,Feb.I enjoy all that stuff,i just hope the speaker’s is of sound quality.I will ride up there and check it out 1st.It plug’s in to a power source and off your phone..

3. paulus says:

Should be popular with the adventure riding crowd…. but, not my cup of tea.
    There will be additional weight and that makes distance riding more tiring.

4. Ty says:

I love HUD’s in say a fighter jet, but the sky is quite a wide open space. I’m not sure how I feel about this in a motorcycle helmet. I’m sure we’ve all used our cell phones, eat, or mess with our overly complicated dashboards in our cars once or twice while driving, but having a HUD’s that can interfere with your vision/attention to the road is dangerous.

Yes some of us have better abilities than others on our bikes, but for new riders and the masses who like to mob in 100+ man biker groups, this could be out right dangerous for those riders. Not to mention that woman who got a ticket for wearing her google glasses. I hope the HUD Industry gets some powerful lawyers and lobbyist, or this things gonna get the axe from the law before the industry sky rockets.

That being said, where do I sign my life away and how can I get this on an Arai helmet. If its not Arai, it better be a Darth Vader helmet!

5. K-bone says:

Let me – guess… you need a goddamn smart phone for it to work? Lame.

Why can’t we just get speed and at most, RPM projected onto the visor? Why do we need to be able to take fucking phone calls – that is one reason why I ride, after all… to get away from things…

6. Bailey says:

I’m not sure I really want to see what’s actually happening behind me….

7. smiler says:

Good looking helmet but the only part of this that will enhance rider safety rather than making motorcycling more dangerous is the 180 degree camera.

8. JoeD says:

Too much information. Distracted riding. A fellow rider had a GF tally 3 wrecks because she watches Netflix on her smartphone while driving. No longer a GF but still behind the wheel. Now this?

9. KSW says:

Andrew is on to something with the weight issue.

If you’ve been lucky enough to hold a carbon fibre race helmet you know they weigh about as much as a feather. Added weight to the helmet causes added neck injury at impact as the muscles try to control the mass. Not the case in all helmets without the added weight. Being fit is better for your health in a lot of ways including good muscle development.

Joe,

Exactly, too much distracted driving. What, putting the iPhone sideways in front of the gauges with a movie is a bad thing? Oh right, this is America and unlike the rest of the developed world we put ISP profits above common sense.

10. Marc F says:

Having played around with a prototype, I can say that the rear camera functionality is a huge benefit and requires less effort and distraction than use of mirrors. Even if you turn off every other feature, you’d benefit from that. The weight is negligible and well within the norms of other full face helmets. Don’t hold me to this, but from what I understand, rearview does not require phone integration and the system battery is integrated into the helmet so there’s no piggyback or wires needed when riding. You’ll have to decide whether the cost is worth it to you, but based on what I’ve seen so far, there is NO functional downside to the system.

11. Syd says:

I’m completely uninterested in gimics like this until the helmets are able to easily interface with each other. ie. you have a true all in one system.

if a helmet maker combined rearview system & helmet to helmet communication then they would have a killer product. go riding with your buds all wearing the same helmet interfaced together. ride pillion and be able to display the rear cam of your pillion on your HUD etc.

total dream with the current state of tech, but not far off. call me then, HUD systems should be 10x better by then as well..

12. Syd says:

also, it would have to have a degree of modularity. u dont want to ditch your helmet and lose out on your $$$ HUD system as well. should snap in & out.

13. sideswipeasaurus says:

Very intrigued by this and the other offerings coming available. The rear camera would be a godsend and worth it just for that but… all of us who’ve been riding for some time know that all helmets are not created equal. The current helmet makers have poured much R&D and experience into making the safest, lightest, quietest, most cofortable helmets on the market. Still not all helmets are best for all people. Among the top tier people have their preferences based on their own head shape, facial features, and venting, noise abatement requirements. While having a bunch of apps on a HUD is great how good will the prime function of this unit be, you know, the helmet?

14. The helmet should fit comfortably and snugly without moving.
    There’s definitely a spot for helmet manufacturers within this category as well as we are just as delighted to find a bargain as anyone else.
    Buy a helmet that suits perfectly and doesn’t hinder the
    experiencing or even vision.

15. tom says:

Syd,

Of course the early helmets aren’t going to be perfect for what you want, but early adopters will allow the cash flow to continue R&D. Just just at the iPhone 1 versus the iPhone 5. Once the tech and stable communications get worked out, then the helmet will be ready for primetime – or the’ll just license their tech to all the other helmet makers and cash in. The concept is sound and the time is coming.