Ducati Quietly Shows the GT1000 SportClassic the Door

10/07/2010 @ 6:18 am, by Jensen Beeler9 COMMENTS

Ducati Quietly Shows the GT1000 SportClassic the Door 2010 Ducati GT1000 SportClassic 635x476

Noticeably absent from Ducati’s 2011 line-up is the Ducati GT1000, the last remaining SportClassic in the Ducati line. The move isn’t surprising to Ducatisti, who have seen the writing on the wall for the retro-classic for some time now. Using an obsolete air-cooled 992cc lump, the SportClassic line stuck out like a sore thumb in the Ducati supply chain, as the brand has continued to center itself around a small core of power plants for its different motorcycles. With no other current models sharing the older DesmoDue engine, and sales likely continuing to decline, Ducati has taken the the GT1000 out the barnyard door and put the beast out of its misery.

Is that too much hyperbole for you? Chin up Ducati fans, because where there’s a will there is a way. Ducati is saving most of its big product annonucements for the EICMA show in Milan in one month’s time. The resgination of the GT1000 could signal that Ducati has finally sold its run of 992cc motors, which could signal the bike’s revival with an 1100cc motor, shared with the Hypermotard EVO and Monster 1100.

Other possibilities include the SportClassic line making a larger come-back, and sharing the full air-cooled motor range (696, 796, & 1100 motors). All of this is speculation of course, but a classic looking motorcycle could easily balance out the more modern-growing Monster line.

The last option is none of this occurs, and 2010 was the last year the SportClassic will be made. Time will tell on this one, but we like the idea of Ducati having a model that links back to the company’s rich history.

Source: Ducati & Ducati News Today

Comment:

1. Andrey says:

If Ducati were smart they would release a SuperSportClassic with an aluminum tank, new graphics, Ohlins front and rear, quality alloy wheels and a few other nice bits and pieces (for example nice rear sets etc) and an 1100 engine. Everyone that had a SportClassic would instantly want to upgrade! These bikes are a joy to ride and have a look and style all their own. Ride one and you will know.
    If the new bikes are an example of the thinking in Bolgna (such as the Diavel) then I don’t hold much hope…. they seem to be more interested in the marketing side of the business as distinct from being focused solely on giving their customers a fantastic riding experience…..
    I am sure many will chime in on how Ducati has to “move with the times” blah blah blah, but the bottom line is rider enjoyment is most important, not which niche the marketing geeks think they can get the biggest return for the bean counters in. Remember, accountants often end up steering a company away from its focus on customer satisfaction… I mean have you ever eaten a bowl of soup made by an accountant???

2. Sean says:

I hope the Diavel is the next to be taken out and shot.

3. DeezToolz says:

I’m with Andrey and Sean. The Classic line-up is what brought me to Ducati in the first place. A body with some character. As an MH900e owner, I was one of the first to hop on the Sport-Classic band wagon, and I certainly hope that they continue to chunk out a few more of these.

Andrey’s idea of a performance-oriented SuperSport-Classic would be awesome. I’d romp that around a track in a heartbeat. The MH900e, maybe not so much. The suspension was crap, electronics were worse, and yeah, that engine was weak for what it was. But JEEBUS, it is sexy.

It’s like most supermodels; Really fun to look at, but they drink a lot, and are a b!tch to ride.

4. Ducati Quietly Shows the GT1000 SportClassic the Door – http://bit.ly/9MZtVr #motorcycle

5. skadamo says:

I actually liked that bike. My local dealer had one on the floor used, looked sharp.

This is good news for anyone who owns them an likes them. They will always have a unique bike.

6. gnmac says:

What Sean said…shoot that damn porker!

7. JH says:

I agree with Andrey; why didn’t Ducati shop at it’s own inventory and made a bike with the looks of the Sport 1000 S, the suspension, brakes and specs of the current Monster 1100S (95hp/370lbs dry), some nice aluminium rims and the single sides swingarm of the S4R for the price of a Monster 1100S ($11,995)? Do “retro”bikes really need retro looking suspension and brakes…if you see the positive reactions people have towards the new Kawa W800 it seems Ducati was too early with its Sport Classics series and for sure some updates would have made the bikes popular again.

8. eskimotor says:

whats the different between this and ducati paul smart edition?

9. Ray says:

I test rode one of these and the main thing preventing me from buying was the budget parts they used while charging the same price as the big Monster. Other than that, I loved it. Still think about that test ride and know one day I’ll own one. And the best part for me was they were perfect stock. The exhaust had a nice mellow tone, the engine had enough grunt, the seat was good, mirrors good, riding position good–I just didn’t like paying extra for the good looks.