Video: 2012 BMW S1000RR

10/21/2011 @ 6:12 am, by Jensen Beeler9 COMMENTS

Video: 2012 BMW S1000RR 2012 BMW S1000RR 115 635x423

BMW is taking a cue from Honda and Yamaha this next model year, as the German company is making only revisions from the original design for the 2012 BMW S1000RR. Modifying the frame, suspension, electronics, and cosmetics of the company’s class-leading superbike, BMW should be in good stead for 2012 considering what the Japanese manufacturers are bringing to the table. We expect the 2012 BMW S1000RR will continue to be a top-seller in 2012, despite the upcoming MV Agusta F4R and Ducati 1199 Panigale.

Though we’ve already seen many people draw similarities between the three bikes, it should be reminded the S1000RR is priced to compete with the Japanese models in the liter bike class, not the Italian ones. If sales data from the last two years is to be believed, the expected buyer for the F4R and Panigale should be an entirely different group of riders than those who have been buying S1000RRs in the past. Not needing to make a strong showing this upcoming model year, it will be interesting to see what the Bavarians bring for 2013. Is another Liter Bike King on its way? 2012 BMW S1000RR promo video after the jump.

Photo/Video: BMW

Comment:

1. AK says:

Awesome Bike… waiting for Panigale then i will decide which one should i go for.

2. Nobody says:

If only manufactures made videos as well as they made bikes.

3. Damo says:

After two years of staring at it, I am finally starting to warm up to the S1000rr. I really dig the new paint schemes.

4. Rob says:

I would easily purchase this over its japanese competition. But after riding the italian crowd of RSV4 and 1198, I would easily take either of those before the BMW. The bmw just doesn’t provide the visceral experience I enjoy on some of the others.

5. akatsuki says:

Ducati is foolish for thinking that the 1199 is going to command the premium it used to – with the RSV and S1000RR very competitively prices and exotic enough – I think they will be in for a big surprise.

Glad to hear that the geo has changed a bit – still want symmetry.

6. Rob says:

^ I think Ducati would be foolish to try to price it close to the likes of BMW. I think they should make it more upmarket, exotic etc. Typically more expensive things are more lusted after. How many Louis Vuitton and Marc Jacobs sunglasses pairs are sold simply because they cost $6900 and everyone wants that image.

Make it expensive enough, and the really rich will want it lol.

7. SBPilot says:

I agree with you Rob, certain brands stay expensive for a reason, Ducati is one of them.

But you have to be fair with the BMW comparison. You easily choose an Ducati or an Aprilia over the Bimmer but remember, as you said, the price is that much more. It’s like saying I prefer a Ferrari over a Nissan GTR. Same performance, different visceral feeling. Nearly a no brainer but, many people nowadays are becoming more practical. “Visceral” feeling doesn’t command the price tag it use to (aka when the economy was good). As you said, the rich will want the Duc’s, I assume you have some money floating around!

Nobody: the video honestly isn’t that bad. Other bike related videos have been much worse.

8. SBPilot says:

For what it’s worth. I do like BMW’s very much, cars and the like. But I would also probably take a Ducati 1199 or an RSV4 over the S1000RR if money wasn’t a factor.

9. Kurt says:

Rode one for an afternoon.
    Probably one of the safest bikes I could be on because even though it’s over-powered, it comes with electronic governors which limit the amount of disaster I can create.
    The suspension is rock-solid; goes like it’s on rails.
    It’s good piece of equipment to take me to work everyday. The track I can do without because it just eats up my time and money.
    Add the heated grips, and I”m riding it to work on those cold San Diego mornings in the winter.
    The only thing I didn’t like about it was it didn’t have a proper gas gauge, just a warning light.