While David is in Aragon, I am down in Laguna Seca for the World Superbike races (apparently AMA Pro Racing is here too, though you wouldn’t know it from their TV contract), and Aprilia USA just debuted and confirmed that the alphabet soup that is the 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 R APRC ABS will be landing on US soil starting in October 2013.
The naked version of the venerable Aprilia RSV4 R APRC ABS superbike, the Tuono V4 R is our hands-down favorite liter-class streetfighter, with its burly, yet smooth, power delivery, and industry-leading electronics package.
Keeping the machine inline with its competitors, Aprilia is now adding ABS for the 2014 model year , and thus has raised the bar a little higher with its next iteration of the Tuono V4 R. Helping seal the deal is the $14,499 price tag, which is $500 less than last year’s MSRP.
Making a number of changes to the Tuono’s 999.6cc V4 power plant, Aprilia now claims 167hp from the machine, while adding Bosch’s 9MP anti-locking brake kit. A second-generation APRC system is also onboard, while a larger fuel tank (4.9 gallons) and improved seat round out the finer details that have been modified from the 2013 model.
With the KTM Super Duke 1290 R and BMW S1000R set to debut in just a few weeks’ time though, it will be interesting to see how the bike from Noale, Italy stacks up against its Germanic competition. As always, time will tell.
2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 R APRC ABS Technical Specifications:
- Engine type: Aprilia longitudinal 65° V-4 cylinder, 4-stroke, liquid cooling system, double overhead camshafts (DOHC), four valves per cylinder
- Bore and stroke: 78 x 52.3 mm
- Total engine capacity: 999.6 cc
- Compression ratio: 13:1
- Maximum power at crankshaft: 167 HP (125 kW) at 11,500 rpm
- Maximum torque at crankshaft: 111.5 Nm at 9,500 rpm
- Fuel system: Airbox with front dynamic air intakes; 4 Weber-Marelli 48-mm throttle bodies with 4 injectors and latest generation Ride-by-Wire engine management.
- Choice of three different engine maps selectable by the rider with bike in motion: T (Track), S (Sport), R (Road)
- Ignition: Magneti Marelli digital electronic ignition system integrated in engine control system, with one spark plug per cylinder and “stick-coil” type coils
- Start up: Electric
- Exhaust system: 4 into 2 into 1 layout, single oxygen sensor, lateral single silencer with ECU-controlled bypass valve and integrated trivalent catalytic converter (Euro 3)
- Alternator: Flywheel mounted 450W alternator with rare earth magnets
- Lubrication: Wet sump lubrication system with oil radiator and two oil pumps (lubrication and cooling)
- Gearbox: 6-speed cassette type gearbox: 1st: 39/15 (2,600); 2nd: 33/16 (2.063); 3rd: 34/20 (1,700); 4th: 32/22 (1,455); 5th: 34/26 (1,308); 6th: 33/27 (1,222); Gear lever with Aprilia Quick Shift electronic system (aQS)
- Clutch: Multiplate wet clutch
- Primary drive: Straight cut gears and integrated flexible coupling, drive ratio: 73/44 (1,659)
- Secondary drive: Chain: Drive ratio: 42/16 (2,625)
- Traction management: APRC System (Aprilia Performance Ride Control), which includes Traction Control (aTC), Wheelie Control (aWC), Launch Control (aLC), all of which can be configured and deactivated independently.
- Aluminum dual beam chassis with pressed and cast sheet elements.
- Steering Damper: Sachs
- Front suspension: Sachs upside-down “one by one” fork, stanchions 43 mm. Forged aluminum feet for radial calliper mounting; Completely adjustable spring preload and hydraulic compression and rebound damping; Wheel travel: 120 mm
- Rear suspension: Double braced aluminum swingarm; mixed low thickness and sheet casting technology; Sachs piggy back monoshock with completely adjustable: spring preload and hydraulic compression and rebound damping. APS progressive linkage; Wheel travel: 130 mm
- Front Brakes: Dual 320 mm floating stainless steel discs with lightweight stainless steel rotor with 6 studs. Brembo monobloc radial callipers M432 with 4 horizontally opposed 32 mm Ø pistons. Sintered pads. Axial pump master cylinder and metal braided brake hoses.
- Rear Brakes: 220 mm diameter disc; Brembo floating calliper with two 32-mm isolated pistons. Sintered pads. Pump with integrated tank and metal braided hose.
- ABS: Bosch 9MP, adjustable on 3 maps, featuring RLM strategy and disconnectable.
- Wheel rims: Cast aluminum wheels with 3 split spoke design: Front.:3.5”X17”; Rear: 6.00”X17”
- Tires: Radial tubeless, Front: 120/70 ZR 17; Rear: 190/55 ZR 17 (alternative: 190/50 ZR 17; 200/55 ZR 17)
- Max. length: 81.2 inches
- Max. width: 31.4 inches (at the handlebar)
- Max. height: 42.9 inches
- Min. height from the ground: 4.9 inches
- Saddle height: 32.8 inches
- Wheelbase: 56.8 inches
- Trail: 4.2 inches
- Steering angle: 25°
- Dry weight: 408 lbs
- Tank: 18.5 liters (4.88 gallons)