A surprise addition to BMW Motorrad’s 2013 model line-up, zie Germans have announced a new middleweight adventure-tourer, the 2013 BMW F800GS Adventure. Like its larger predecessor, the BMW F800GS Adventure is a more travel-ready and off-road capable build of the recently updated BMW F800GS motorcycle.
Featuring a larger windscreen, panniers, and a bigger fuel tank capacity (2.1 gallons larger, for a total of 6.3 gallons of fuel), the BMW F800GS Adventure keeps the same 85 hp, liquid-cooled, 798cc, parallel-twin engine found on the F800GS, as well as the same chassis configuration.
ABS comes standard, though the Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) systems will be made available as factory-fitted options — i.e. “options” you will have no option but to buy while at the dealership.
Certainly feeling the heat from competitors like the Triumph Tiger 800XC, BMW is clearly staking out its turf in the lucrative adventure-touring market, and with today’s announcement, the German motorbike maker now offers seven models of its GS line to consumers.
To help kick things off, the first 1,000 bikes sold will be dubbed the 2013 BMW F800GS Adventure “Launch Edition” (sorry, not available in the USA) and will feature Sandrover matte paintwork in combination with three equipment packages.
The Comfort package, which is comprised of an onboard computer, heated grips, and center stand. The Enduro package, which comes with ASC plus Enduro mode. And last the Special accessories package, which features a lockable aluminium case set, a topcase holder, and BMW’s GPS unit.
Pricing in the US will be $13,550 for the base model BWM F800GS Adventure. For the The BMW F800GS Adventure with the Premium package (Enduro + Comfort) will come with a $14,350 sticker. For a “fully loaded” F800GS Adventure, expect to pay $14,995.
Highlights of the new BMW F 800 GS Adventure compared to the F 800 GS:
- Based on the same versatile overall concept as the F 800 GS, with powerful twin-cylinder engine and agile suspension, but with enhanced off-road and globetrotting abilities.
- Robust and masculine GS Adventure bodywork styling.
- Balanced proportions, despite large rear tank.
- Larger, 24-litre fuel tank (+ 8 litres).
- Extended range (by approx. 120 km / 75 miles).
- ABS as standard, ASC as a factory-fitted optional extra or as a special accessory.
- Enduro mode as a new optional extra, in combination with ASC.
- Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) as a factory-fitted optional extra.
- Reinforced rear subframe.
- Even more comfortable bench seat.
- Large windscreen.
- Wide enduro footrests.
- Adjustable, reinforced foot brake lever.
- Engine protection bar.
- Pannier rack also serves as a tank protection bar.
- Wide range of special accessories and ex-works optional extras.