Ty Howard Flogs the 2011 KTM 1190 RC8 R

06/01/2011 @ 6:08 pm, by Jensen Beeler12 COMMENTS

Ty Howard Flogs the 2011 KTM 1190 RC8 R 2011 KTM 1190 RC8 R 635x422

KTM-sponsored rider Ty Howard got some track time with the new 2011 KTM 1190 RC8 R, and the Texan seems to be very positive about the changes the Austrian company has made to its already potent superbike package. Instead of aiming for more power, KTM’s goal was more rideability (though the Ready to Race brand did manage to squeeze a few more ponies out of the 2011 machine).

Thus, it’s fitting that changes include a new fueling system, new crankshaft, heavier flywheel, and dual-spark ignition. The 2010 KTM 1190 RC8 R is probably our favorite track bike, so we have high hopes for the 2011 edition when we finally get a chance to test one. Check out Ty’s impressions of the 2011 KTM 1190 RC8 R after the jump.

Source: KTM

Comment:

1. AC says:

Bike is cool as hell and has a style all its own.

2. john magnum says:

pity here in oz they want 5k AUD for an akro system. you US guys can convert that. reduced price for an R yeah, though still dear. RSV4 got more character if you cant wait for 2012. i dont think KTM gunna pull it off like they think….

3. Hasmizal says:

nice and cool bike =)

4. Damo says:

@john magnum

The RSV4 is a great bike. I mean the Factory version is arguably the greatest superbike on the road, BUT as I have stated before if you are over 6 feet tall the bike is punishing to sit on. It is about the same size as most middle weights and for me, personally, would not be an option.

I hope more manufacturers take a queue from KTM and design ergo adjustment into there road fairing race replicas. Kawasaki is kinda doing that with the Ninja 1000.

I use my race replica as an everyday driver and honestly don’t attend track days, so for me I need something semi comfortable and I have been looking long and hard at KTM. (Currently riding a 2003 RSV Mille)

5. Other Sean says:

I just wish the Ready to Race brand could get their act together and put it in WSBK. For cripes sake, they’ve had two strokes in GP for how long, and they can’t get this thing on the race stage?

6. Damo says:

@Other Sean

I could be wrong, but I thought KTM tried to get the RC8 in to WSBK this year and the new CC limit rule stopped them? That is why the Ducati’s are 1098cc motors this year.

7. The 1200cc limit? Ducati runs an 1198cc machine.

8. albacete says:

racing ducati engines are, and always had been since the 1098 series 1200 cc, or 1198 cc to be more accurate, 1098 R its just the NAME of the bike.. KTM might have entered wsbk a long time ago.. i really don’t know what they are expecting to..

9. Shaitan says:

Stunning bike… especially in person. I agree with Damo the RSV4 is arguably the better bike if you’re a smaller frame, but the RC8 is for the six-footers amongst us.

10. JRl says:

I gave one of Fast Track Rider’s 2011 1190R instructor bikes a few laps around Fontana couple weeks ago and enjoyed it throughly. It was an interesting change over my ZX6R with it’s stock exhaust and great low end torque. It was weird because I didn’t feel like I was going all that fast until I tipped it into a corner! Wore ear plugs during the first session due to habit which made it impossible to hear the engine, especially in the lower revs. It was a very smooth and dynamic bike. I hope to get some more time on it in the future!

11. Tom says:

The older I get the less enamored I am with the racing bodies. Some new bike comes along that challenges the status quo and the manufacturers get the racing bodies to change the rules to benefit only them. There is a reason why motorcycle design has been stagnant for decades. If KTM makes a better same-size bike than the big boys then KTM really needs to learn how to market itself like Lamborghini has. The only racing Lambo I can name is the Diablo that ran here in JGTC and it was not dominant IIRC, yet people still lust after Lambos as much as they do Ferraris.

I say good job KTM. The rest of the big boys aren’t innovating. All they do is dance around the regulations never straying too far away from the safe and boring.

12. buellracerx says:

beautiful bike, too bad about the dunslops DOTs mounted on those sweetly-optimized rims. set of the N-TEC slicks would serve it well.