Triumph Trophy SE Priced at $18,999 for the USA

09/04/2012 @ 8:37 am, by Jensen Beeler17 COMMENTS

Triumph Trophy SE Priced at $18,999 for the USA 2013 triumph trophy se 635x512

When the Triumph Trophy SE broke cover earlier this June, the comparisons were quickly made between Britain’s most advanced motorcycle ever, and the German competition it was so clearly trying to emulate. While Triumph Trophy’s engineers and designers clearly took a long-look at the BMW R1200RT, and tried to improve upon the staple of a touring bike, Triumph’s marketers may have been asleep as the switch, as the Triumph Trophy SE has one thing the BMW does not: a bigger price tag.

The only variant headed to the US market, the Triumph Trophy SE will cost just shy of $19,000 when it arrives in dealerships in January 2013 — a stark price difference to the R1200RT’s current $17,350 MSRP. Though, it should be said that BMW is set to debut a water-cooled version of its R1200GS adventure-tourer in a month’s time, which could also mean the release of an updated and water-cooled RT as well. On the bright side, the Triumph Trophy SE is priced $1000 lower than the BMW K1600GT making it a good middle-ground option between the Bavarian company’s two dominant models in the touring space.

Coming with a bevy of features, Triumph hopes that the electronically controlled WP suspension, ride-by-wire throttle, traction control, electronic cruise control, linked anti-locking brakes, tire pressure monitoring system, and dynamically shifting panniers will help offer enough bang for the buck for touring riders here in North America. At the heart of the Trophy SE is Triumph’s 1215cc 132hp three-cylinder motor, which comes with a less-than-impressive 10,000 mile servicing interval. Let us know what you think of Triumph’s latest creation in the comments.

Source: Triumph

Comment:

1. Richard Gozinya says:

So Triumph’s just trying to have something in every big ticket market segment. Not sure why they’re bothering, the big tourers aren’t selling all that well these days. Might be better served going with a fun, lightweight enduro or something.

2. Paul McM says:

“Dynamically shifting panniers” ?? — somebody explain that.

At $19K, a Californian is facing $21,000 out the door with sales tax and license. I can buy a cherry older S2000 convertible for that, or two used R1150RTs with super low miles. Or do what I did, pick up a used (5k miles) ST1100 ABS for five grand. One is paying a huge ($10K) premium to have the latest gadgets (such as electronic cruise control, and pressure monitoring). I think Triumph will have serious trouble selling this beast in today’s market. That said, it’s good to see somebody is providing competition for BMW. Before I would spring for this kind of money, however, I’d wait to see what Honda is going to do with the next generation of ST (an ST1400 perhaps??).

3. Kevin says:

I wish BMW would publish actual pricing as opposed to the “base model” pricing they put out. I have yet to see a K1600GT hit our floor for less than $24K and have yet to see an R1200RT for less than $20k…and that’s before taxes and tags. Sure ABS is free with the MSRP, but traction control, electronic suspension, heated grips, on-board computer, tire pressure monitors, bag mounts, fog lights, destination charge – all of these things are extra and are usually several thousand dollars. A realistic price for a similarly featured RT is about $21k and for a K16GT about $25k.

I’m not saying I’m anxiously awaiting the Trophy, but it will be a much cheaper bike.

4. MIkey says:

Mr. Beeler didn’t have time to price out an R12RT with the same equipment?

Add BMW’s ESA $900, cruise control $350, ASC $400 and TPM for $250. The comparable total is ‘just over $19,000′.

Comparably equipped, the Triumph is cheaper. C’mon folks, this isn’t that hard.

5. smiler says:

Unusually hostile article here A&R.

” On the bright side, the Triumph Trophy SE is priced $1000 lower than the BMW K1600GT making it a good middle-ground option between the Bavarian company’s two dominant models in the touring space.”

So actually it is not over priced. Added to the comment above.

Triumph seem to be firing on all cylinders as it were. new Tiger as well to beat up BMW. Add to that the investment in an Indian factory to make cheapies then looks like they may get ahead of BMW. Think of the likely revenue coming out of India in a couple of years. BMW dont really do cheap and cheerful. Not in cars or bikes.

6. Bellini says:

“So actually it is not over priced. Added to the comment above.”

Are you seriously comparing this silly knock off to a K1600GT? It should be compared only to the bike it blatantly attempts to clone: the RT. The K16 is in a whole other league.

Yes, a fully loaded RT will cost you in the same ballpark, but then you get what is still the best handling bike in its class, a 3 year/36K miles warranty and one of the few motorcycles that keeps its value.

Resale value on Triumphs is abysmal – at the end it’ll cost you a lot more than the RT even if the OTD might be comparable.

7. Johndo says:

Maybe I’m not old enough, but I don’t get why some need these huge bikes. There’s so many nicer, lighter and comfortable options out there…

8. jack says:

Johndo, you are absolutely right, that is why I am now the proud owner of a Ninja 1000. Think of it as a mini Concours. Hard bags, heated grips, aftermarket winshield and exhaust. 140 rear wheel HP and only 506 Lbs. Why would anyone want another overbloated whale with enough electronics to make you just another distracted driver on our roads. By the way I’m 67 and I’m not old enough either.

Why not offer the base version ? Some of us are not made out of money or borned in a craddle of Platinum.
    Im sure one great product………but too damn RICH for mua.

Craigslist in 10 years ? Here i come. LOL.

@ Paul McM:

Dude, pick some really COMFY cushions for your butt….because u are going to need it waiting on that Honda ST1300 replacement. We are talking HONDA here.

“That” was suposed to come out first…rigth after Shamu…and before that HIDEOUS & BLOATED dual-s(PORK) thing called Crosstourer.
    Suposedly all 3 versions were ready at the same time, Honda just didn’t have the BALLS.

I think is about time for Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda to get off their collective butts and recreate their old, outdated, non existent (SUZUKI, IM LOOKING AT YOU) and take it to the streets.

Yes, i understand the sector is pretty dry and low on demand, BUT… doing nothing about it WILL NOT do them any good.
    Just look at Kawasaki……..their products may not be the tip of the spear, the state of the art, w/e but they sure as hell always have my attention.

@Jonhdo & Jack:

There’s nothing wrong with this bike if u use it for and in the way it was intended for: sport-TOURING.
    Anything smaller+ligther=compromising + cutting corners on the touring part and tilting towards sport.

Some of us like meaty girls, LMAO. I used to ride a 1982 GS1100G (550lbs+) , man that thing rode like a flying carpet…and with 89hp it had plenty to get u in trouble in the blink of an eye.
    Try one…u’ll be surprised….(^_^)…if is not for u, well…..move on.

10. jack says:

MikeD, Having riden coast to coast twice on a Sprint ST SPORT-tourng bike there is no compromise or cutting corners, 80,000+ miles proves that. But meaty girls deserve a Trophy. Like 90% of serious TOURERS, I do ride solo and a light weight SPORTY bike fits my needs exactly.

11. Jerry says:

Based on the British release price (21,000 in eq $’s) I was expecting a similar price to the BMW K1600GT. Unfortunately, we will not be able to partake in the lower priced offering (ie. non-SE).
    With only 1K separating the BMW from the Triumph this is a no brainer. The GT has been given high accolades and has some history even if only a year. If Triumph could have made the Trophy available at 17K they would have knocked it out of the park. Unless you have to have a Triumph a 1K difference is small even if the BMW does not have all the features. The RT could give it some stiff competition especially if a water cooled RT is on the horizion and BMW makes the remaining stock of oilheads available at a special savings. In the future I could use something that soes not have the heft of my LT. I am waiting with baited breath for a complete review.

12. doggrell3000 says:

triumph will sell thousands of new 2013 trophies . i will buy one as soon as possible . my manhattan dealer will paint mine all glossy black . triumph really should be offering a black version along with silver and blue . anyhow i will let the excellent paint pros turn mine into a glossy black touring machine that will be as good if not better than the bmw touring bikes . this bike will travel the world . triumph has done it again . 20 grand is a little steep but one gets what one pays for .

doggrell3000
    new york ny

13. Dave says:

I have been a BMW rider for years. All BMWs are overpriced and looks like Triumph is going that way as well. I was excited over the 13 Trophy when I heard about it. Now? Not so much….A new liquid cooled RT is on the horizon after seeing this outlandish price for the Trophy.

14. Steve says:

I concur with a few others who have very astutely observed, the quite obvious unfairness or journalistic laziness, of this article.  Most simply the not at all Apples and Apples Pricing Comparison.

It appears Triumph is targeting astute, well informed riders who unlike both the author of this article and some of those who commented in clear biased agreement, prefer a nice combo of performance plus value, but nonetheless in the targeted segment here, still handily nailing Performance Luxury Tourer. Clearly BMW’s new highly regarded six cylinder standout will blow well past the new Trophy, but for nearly 1/3rd more the pricing.

As to comparing the water cooled RT, it matters for maybe another year max; anyone reading even a bit now and then of “the State” of cycling across Tourer segments especially, would know BMW is now obliged to design a water cooled version fast, expressly due new emissions rules all across Europe. Surely with California, then as always Stateside, the balance of the US to very shortly follow.  Plus and quite regrettably as I like the BMW RT a lot; any amount of research will see they’ve had serious issues with their drivetrain.  Amongst the bikes I’ve owned over three plus decades, my current Triumph Performance Cruiser, has a strong loyal following due the performance, handling and ergonomics plus quality, admittedly with a few early issues (virtually all in the UK, who obviously got the very first ones) as often happens with every maker on their first releases.  Even Honda has had problems with quality across several of theur bikes; look it up!

…however, in their relative few early release cases of problems, Triumph consistently bent over backwards in service response even going well past warranties – when that happened and again; albeit needed very rarely –  on those very few early releases that had some issues, so typically cemented a strongly loyal following.  It is very evident Triumph is going many extra miles with their quality targets generally, plus as we can see with their work on this bike; ready now for press rides but taking their time even longer before releasing to production.  Not just a few months, either.  More choices is part of the beauty of free market competition, it helps keep the leaders from getting lazy and let’s face it; the safety features now are incredible!  No way – with it finally becoming available – did I want to buy a bike without ABS which meant effectively one choice for me two years ago in the Performance Cruiser segment unless I went a good bit more dollars for a “me too” Harley CVO, like – relatively in my area and demographic – “everyone else.”  As it is now, every single Harley rider I come across is impressed with my Triumph Thunderbird Big Twin.

To extend my riding season and comfort for extended tours (I set my current Triumph up as what they call SE and then some, for “quick release” touring but as it is Triumph, I can keep pace even fully loaded, with most Sport Tourers on curves!) this new Trophy looks a likely excellent choice.  This said and despite my strong confidence in Triumph now, I will still ride it to be sure!  As with any new bike from anyone…

Sent from my iPad

15. Hugh Jarse says:

Wow 19k in the US………………Here in Oz its 28.5k+ on road costs……………….really feel like we is being reemed now.

16. Mike says:

Personally I am glad that Triumph finally built a bike that has something I have wanted from Triumph in years…and that is shaft drive! Please, not a sport touring bike where I will mile it up and have to deal with a chain drive, come on!

I have owned 30 motorcycles so far, and the GoldWing is boring, BMW’s are nice, but I have always liked the triple cylinder engine…they are just cool. For the manufacturer to add the bluetooth capability sort of clinches the deal. I will wait for a 2014 so that I can learn about any issues…since I am no longer a pioneer mentality type.

For the price, it looks like a lot of bang for the buck and should be interesting!

17. JIMP says:

I personally am glad that someone has come up with a touring bike that fits me and how I like to ride. I don’t see anything really that competes with this bike and all that if offers.. soon as they have one in the states I personally will buy one.