Video: Motus MST Stretches Its Legs on the Dyno

02/11/2011 @ 4:56 pm, by Jensen Beeler20 COMMENTS

Video: Motus MST Stretches Its Legs on the Dyno Motus MST 01 motor head

There might be snow on the ground for most of the United States, but things in the south are starting to heat up now that Motus has gotten its MST sport-tourer on the dyno, and for a quick ride in its latest video on YouTube. Letting the 1645cc gasoline direct-injection KMV4 motor “unleash the beast” as it were, the project seems to be coming together nicely as we’re given a rapid succession of quick-cuts on the MST’s build job.

We expect to see the built-in-America bike on city streets once the ice thaws (or Motus realizes it was 70°F in sunny San Francisco today, and makes a stop by the Golden State), and the video’s ending suggests we’ll get another installment while we wait for winter to subside.

We’re still going through the video to see if there’s any nuggets of info hidden inside. Call them out in the comments if you see something.

Source: Motus Motorcycles

Comment:

1. RSVDan says:

Oh, sweet baby Jesus.

2. Andrey says:

Aaaah the sound of push rods!
    Incredible that in this day and age someone would make a motor that had them!
    If anyone ever needed proof the U.S. had trouble moving forward, this surely must be it.
    Perhaps they don’t intend to sell it anywhere else.
    I just hope it is really heavy, if nothing else.
    (flame suit on)

3. Andrey says:

And why isn’t the engine a stressed member???
    I could go on….

4. Tom says:

I like what I see and more importantly hear. But, I still cannot get over one nagging issue – the name. It sucks. Motus, despite what its trying to invoke, simply doesn’t move me.

5. Wedge says:

Andrey,

In the aircraft industry, engine manufacturers(like Rotax) use pushrods all the time. The teardown and rebuilt of an aircraft engine is therefore quite simple(I have an A&P license and have teardown and rebuilt both jet engines(with AB) and reciprocating engines). I fully understand why some of these design decisions were made and I like them. Most importantly(to me), the performance mods will be awesome, though I do wonder how much extra power the frame and tranny can take. This engine could easily make 200bhp with some modifications. Nothing like a 200hp sport-tourer, hahaha

6. JR says:

Oh that sounds good! Pushrods can work just fine, roller rockers and such. This engine will be very easily upgradeable.

7. JohninVT says:

Andrey,
    It was purposely built with old-tech. Guzzi still makes V Twin’s with pushrods. The Griso, Stelvio and Norge GT all lay down mid 90′s hp at the rear wheel from air-cooled, pushrod V twins of 1200cc. The Motus is going to be a beast and the pushrod, V-4 is going to make regular maintenance incredibly easy and quick. It takes 15 minutes to set the valves in a Guzzi. Do you have any idea what a scheduled maintenance on a ST1300 costs? Or a C14 Concours?

There is something to be said for a V4 that puts out stupendous hp but you can wander into a NAPA equivalent anywhere in the world and get everything you need for a tuneup.

8. BikePilot says:

It makes perfect sense to me – in a sport tourer that doesn’t compete in displacement-restricted classes a wise builder will chose the engine that gives them the most power with the sort of power curve they want for a given weight and physical size. Push rod motors have the advantage of being extremely compact and light for a given displcement so you can have a lot more cc without a lot more weight. They of course don’t rev like a dohc (in general), but if you are after a low-revving sport-tourer that might not be a problem. The ZR1 corvette is doing just dandy with pushrods and easily keeping pace with euro sports cars that are twice the price.

9. gnmac says:

I get the pushrod infatuation / heritage of the American motor industry, but for cripe’s sake when will someone make a dohc liquid-colled v4 800-1000cc superbike worthy of carrying Old Glory into the MotoGP/SBK fight??? I would love to see a legitimate superbike draped in the red, white, and blue that would be as good as say, a Honda RC212V, Ducati GP10/11, or Aprilia RSV4 – is tha so hard to ask for?? Do any bike builders in the US care about making something other than pushrod V4 touring bikes and Harley lead sleds??? Come on, in the auto side of things, we at least used to have Shelbys, Ford GT40′s, Corvettes competing successfully in the int’l auto racing scene…Ford campaigned the GT40 all the way to the point of whipping the ass of the mighty Ferrari works effort! And even the Corvette program has in the last decade had considerable class success in Le Mans racing… So the American motorcycle industry should be able to match that effort, right?? I love my Aprilias, Ducatis, and MVs, but I would sure love to have a comparable bike made here in the good ol’ US of A!!

10. Allan Engel says:

140+hp, 120+ lbs/ft and right around 500 pounds – what’s not to love?

Can’t wait to see what the final product looks,sounds and rides like and the ASTRONOMICAL Price Tag hanging off of it !

Oh, and i wouldn’t worry about the valve train on this one, after all…whats the projected redline ? 8K ? (as per dyno footage).
    How many times is it going to be near there and for how long ? Almost never. This ain’t no anorexic Racy 600 thats needs to rev to the Moon and back to make some HP and Torque, it’s a full blown 1650cc DIRECT INJECTION sport-touring rig.

p.s: Just looking at the lenght of the intake runners is almost like a dead give away what this beast has been built and tuned for…LOW-MID Power and Torque ?

13. Tom says:

gnmac, the Ford GT40 was a completely British enterprise. It was not American.

14. gnmac says:

I know there was a healthy dose of UK in the GT40, as there was in the AC/Shelby Cobra, but it was the Detroit mill that allowed it to smash the rosso corsa from Modena…

15. gildas says:

Just the engine block and the cup holders.

Kidding :)

16. JR says:

I think the fact that this is direct injection is going overlooked for the most part. Who has direct injection right now?… only cars for the most part. High dollar R&D goes into developing direct injection. I think Aprilia has a DI 2-stroke scooter that uses Orbital air-assisted injectors.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but no major motorcycle manufacturer is offering DI on a production bike right now? I didn’t take the time to research here though (read, I could be very wrong).

Also, a lot of manufacturers are JUST NOW starting to offer PFI!? It’s hard to believe bikes like the Ninja 250 are still carbureted…. 1975 called….

17. Very good point JR. I’m not sold on the idea that a “hot rod” motor will lead to a robust aftermarket/modding culture for Motus, but the GDI motor is definitely something people should be excited about.

@JR:

The USA is getting the middle finger from KHI with the Ninja 250, as the bike is sold EFI overseas, Europe comes to mind. Suposedly EFI would make it more xpensive and break the projected price target for the USA…(TOTAL B.S Line) , greedy bastards, they get away with it because the carbs are still able to meet the current emissions regulations…but regulations wont stay the same but become harder and it will force KHI to slap EFI on it for good, maybe even a catalytic converter and O2 Sensors.

And yes, DFI is great…people not in the know….do a search and start getting the facts about it.

I hope the rest of the big OEMs start using said technology and bring it to the masses at affordable prices (togheter with VVT on both cams) not like the lame half a gizmo the C14 employs currently wich “apparently” makes no significant difference to justify its existence and the bulk it brings.

19. Chrome says:

In picture 6, it looks like th alternator is going to be belt drive.

Also, does it seem like this engine will roast your legs in the summer? The engine is totally exosed to the legs, and it looks like the only body work will be up forward of the motor.

I love the concept. This looks like a bike you can mod to be whatever you want. I’d like to see modular bodywork so that it can be anything from a cafe racer (visually) to a well protected two-up.

very excited to see the final bike, and then stand by and watch someone else pay $40k :(

20. merkenpride says:

See MotoCzysz (read: aint gonna happen)