Report: Massimo Bordi Out at MV Agusta

06/24/2013 @ 2:08 pm, by Jensen Beeler9 COMMENTS

Report: Massimo Bordi Out at MV Agusta Massimo Bordi Giovanni Castiglioni MV Agusta 635x423

Cycle World is reporting that Massimo Bordi has  retired from his post as CEO of MV Agusta, as his contract has not been extended by the Italian motorcycle maker. If you recall, Bordi was brought into MV Agusta by the late Claudio Castiglioni, after the Castiglioni family bought MV Agusta from Harley-Davidson.

Making his son Giovanni Castiglioni President of the company, and Bordi the CEO of MV Agusta, many saw Claudio Castiglioni’s choices in management appointments as a way to help ensure that there was a steady hand was on the wheel as the young Giovanni learned the ropes of his father’s business.

So, for many involved with the company in Italy, Bordi’s departure is perhaps less of a surprise than it is a natural and expected evolution at MV Agusta. For many outside of Italy, who are not caught up in the romanticism of the brand, the news could require a bit more than a casual glance though.

In many ways, MV Agusta is operating on the final bullet points of Harley Davidson’s game plan for the Italian brand. With product development cycles taking years to come to fruition, much of what we have seen from MV in the past few years was pitched during the company’s ownership by the goof folk in Milwaukee — most notably the MV Agusta F3 675, MV Agusta Brutale 675, and MV Agusta Rivale 800 owe their existence to Harley-Davidson.

Modernizing its operations, and clearing its debt, Harley-Davison is immensely responsible for the current state of MV Agusta, though the American company is reaping few of those rewards (we would still argue that the Harely’s circling the wagons around its core brand was the correct business move at the time).

With the plans set in motion by Harley-Davidson’s now reaching their realization, the next chapter of MV Agusta will come from its current leaders. Bordi’s influence will certainly be there, and their is a wealth of experience that comes from the former Ducati CEO. However, we think the coming years will surely be marked as Giovanni’s reign at MV Agusta.

Now officially in charge, it will be interesting to see what the 33-year-old CEO does with the iconic motorcycle brand.

Source: Cycle World

Comment:

1. after having seen that natgeo megafactories episode of mv, i really want to see these guys do well. i also really want a brutale or f3 as a next bike. even though the triumph equivalents are without a shadow of a doubt, “better.”

2. Matt M says:

Triumph being without” a shadow of a doubt” better is quite a statement. I think most who owned either or both of these brands would disagree with you. The attention to detail, fit and finish of the MV Agusta are at a level triumph only can dream about. Not to mention the MV Brutale 1090RR would piss all over the Speed Triple. Im not saying the triumph is crap, just not on the same level of MV Agusta.

3. CTK says:

Everyone knows MV Agustas are beautiful, but everyone knows they have shitty fueling. Lol @ spending $3-4K more on an MV and then having to spend another $500-1000 to fix the fuelling. Subjectively it’s up to taste but objectively Triumph wins. It’s not like the Triumphs are ugly anywa.

4. Wil says:

@CTK:

I beg to differ on the fueling. My F3 has been flawless, even on a recent 1800 mile road trip covering town, freeways, twisties and high speed sweepers.

I hear that some of the first batch of F3s had issues, but that’s been fixed with ECU map updates.

Now the quality of the seat foam… now there’s something that needs a little work. ;)

5. smiler says:

Dear Matt M. Anyone who has owned an MV will know their attention to build detail is hopeless (flaking wheel paint, bits falling off, side stand breaking), until recently there were serious issued with their fueling (plain dangerous at @2,500 – 4,000), parts were difficult to get hold of (3months) and they were very over priced (my 312 -30% of list price with one free service and a very nice race fairing). Suspension set up was a nightmare (scaffolding front forks, much too stiff for anything other than track use)
    But when it was good it was great and other than the 916, best looking bike out there.

As for the Brutale / Speed Triple comparison, the triumph weighs less, makes fewer horses but more torque.
    Triumph sell well over 50K bikes per annum. The Speed Triple out sells the Brutale by a factor of 10:1.

Having said all of that, the future for MV looks much better than a few years. Ago. The new bikes are achingly gorgeous, there are more of them to choose from as well as some clever step ups like the 800 F3. So I really hope they do well. And if you compare them with offerings from Japan, no contest.

6. Matt M says:

The snatchy throttle or fueling issues really have not been an issue in several years. Since 2010 on I believe the Brutale’s to respond much better. I can only speak for the model I actually have right now. And comparing the number of motorcycles built by both companies is ridiculous. Of course triumph can sell more bikes, they are a much larger company. Comparing two similar sized manufacturers would seem to make more sense .

7. Damo says:

“MV Agusta are at a level triumph only can dream about”

Kind of like how Triumph have a dealer support network on MV can dream about.

I live in the grim reaches of Northeast America and I will never buy an MV as long as their dealer network, service intervals and poor cost/return on their products exist.

Ducati have come light years away from being finicky machines, hopefully MV can do the same.

8. Ranger Jay says:

My Daytona 675 came from the factory as perfect a piece of machinery as I have ever seen. I don’t see anywhere that its “fit and finish” is somehow in need of improvement. It looks fantastic, rides great, and I have my dealer nearby where I can depend on fast and reliable service. This is my second Triumph, and it has presented no problems whatsoever. I rode into work on it this morning, and it is absolutely gleaming in the sun as I look at it sitting in the parking lot next to a rather plain looking Honda CBR1000 (which also rides great, according to the owner).

Triumph builds great motorcycles. And I don’t have to knock MV Agusta to say that, either.

9. Kevin says:

Agree with Damo 100%. Would love an MV but no way to get it serviced. My money will go to either a BMW, Ducati or KTM. All within 50 miles of my house. Which to pick? Tough question!