Kawasaki USA Rebrands “Good Times Protection Plan”

08/19/2014 @ 5:40 pm, by Jensen Beeler20 COMMENTS

Kawasaki USA Rebrands Good Times Protection Plan kawasaki logo 635x423

Kawasaki USA announced today that it is rebranding its tragically named extended warranty program from the “Good Times Protection Plan” to “Kawasaki Protection Plus” for reasons we feel are too obvious to elaborate upon.

However, the real astonishing story here is that for the past 28 years, Kawasaki has made its dealers say with a straight face “Good Times Protection Plan” to would-be buyers, who were looking for more protection for…umm…what was between their legs.

Ahh, I remember in college when I had a “good times protection plan” — though you either had to buy a pack at the grocery store, or suffer through the line at Student Health to get them for free. That and other penis jokes await you in the comments section. Don’t plan on seeing Kawasaki advertise on A&R anytime soon after this.

For being good sports about it though, the new Kawasaki Protection Plan press release is as follows:

IRVINE, Calif. (Aug. 19, 2014)—Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) announced recently that after 28 years of providing excellent coverage to Kawasaki customers, the Good Times™ Protection Plan (GTPP) has been rebranded as Kawasaki Protection Plus (KPP).

Kawasaki Protection Plus offers all of the same great factory backed coverage and extended service contract programs as GTPP, but through our partnership with Service Group has added new products including GAP, Tire & Wheel, Prepaid Maintenance as well as all-encompassing coverage for other OEM brands in the form of Preferred Protection Plus.

“With Kawasaki Protection Plus and Preferred Protection Plus, Kawasaki has partnered with Service Group to provide a comprehensive offering of products and services to Kawasaki dealers and customers ensuring positive ownership experiences, strong dealer relationships, and years of worry-free riding,” says Patrick Kelly, Kawasaki Director, Technical Services.

Kawasaki Protection Plus and Preferred Protection Plus launched August 4, 2014 and are available from authorized Kawasaki dealers, or customers can purchase and renew their KPP contracts online at https://kpp.kawasaki.com/

To learn more about Kawasaki Protection Plus and Preferred Protection Plus, visit kpp.kawasaki.com.

Source: Kawasaki

Comment:

1. Dave Koup says:

I have been selling Kawasakii’s extended warranty since it’s started and never once thought or heard any reference to what was stated in this article. I cannot believe that is true and feel your comments were very unprofessional.

Kawasaki has one of the best extended warranty plans in the motorcycle industry.

2. Having lived in Harrisburg, that doesn’t surprise me.

3. KevinW says:

I’ve never heard of this either, had to wait for an explanation to know what it was talking about.

4. Jackoat says:

How anyone from Kawasaki can say that with a straight face (or deny it without their fingers crossed) beats me.

I had never heard of it (not being in the good ol’ USofA) but its similar to Ford’s Probe. They were surprised that no woman would walk in and ask a salesman for one………

Un-professional? I thought a big part of motorcycling was to have some fun and be light-hearted. Do these people ever talk to ‘normal’ motorcyclists?! Must be me…..well, and you Jensen.

Keep up the good, light-hearted work. The world needs more of it.

5. paulus says:

Damn, if I was aware of this earlier I could have avoided 2 kids and had more money for Kawasaki motorcycles…. nice light article for a mid week relief!

6. Shawn says:

Given that Kawasaki’s slogan used to be “Let the Good Times Roll”, I never thought anything about the name “Good Times Protection Plan”. Only a juvenile would turn it into a dick joke.

Stay classy, A&R.

7. Mick says:

Sounds like some of y’all getting uppity could use a good time. Just because the missus won’t spread her wings any more doesn’t mean the rest of us shouldn’t have a chuckle ;)

8. Justaguy says:

HAH! I wonder if anyone was offended when Roger the alien on American Dad yelled “Kawasaki!” as he rode off, drunk, into a tree. Francis, meet Sgt. Hulka.

Methinks that there isn’t anybody working in advertising for Kwaka who was alive when there used to be motorcycle commercials on tv regularly. Fun motorcycle commercials no less.

I can still hear that 70′s smooth “Kawasaki let’s the good times roll” song. Or “I’m a Yamahopper!”, “you meet the nicest people on a Honda”, etc.

You see more motorcycles in commercials during daytime Jerry Springer type shows than any other time. Unfortunately those are usually commercials for lawyers or insurance companies.

9. L2C says:

“Let the Good Times Roll” and “Good Times Protection Plan” are both inspired by the same in-joke. If you know what “Rock & Roll” really means, then the funny in Kawasaki’s slogans should be obvious.

Didn’t any of you guys go to high school?

10. L2C says:

Here’s some help for those of you who DID NOT have any fun in high school! Jeebus!!

11. Didn’t any of you guys go to high school?

Sure, but some of us actually moved on. When I was P&A manager at Toronto’s largest Kawi dealer back in the mid-’80s, the GTPP name never even hinted at being a dick joke. I mean, wow, seriously?

12. Matt P says:

Meh. Had a hard time making the connection there, a bit of a stretch, but OK. I think I’ll have a sandwich.

13. L2C says:

@ Trane Francks

Man, are you serious? When has advertising for automotive vehicles sold in North America ever not featured a dick joke of some sort. Maybe today you might luck up and find some politically correct millennial campaigns–but in the “50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s??? You gotta be kiddin’ me!

Frankly, there is no way that Kawasaki’s “Kawasaki Lets the Good Times Roll” ad campaign was not inspired by the hit song (or one of its many covers) posted above.

I’ll just leave this here and let Kawasaki (with the help of a very clever ad agency) do all of the explaining. But I have to say I’m in shock! -that hardly anybody gets this. Especially old-school souls who should have nooooo problem getting the double meaning of that stuff. *sits in stunned silence staring into space*

14. But I have to say I’m in shock! -that hardly anybody gets this.

On the contrary, I’m surprised you’re trying to make the expression Let The Good Times Roll about sex when, in fact, its etymology reaches back to the mid-’40s and was used simply as a means of basically saying Let’s Have Fun. Louis Jordan made a jump blues tune of the same title with the lyrics:

Hey everybody, let’s have some fun
    You only live but once, and when you’re dead you’re done
    So let the good times roll, let the good times roll
    Don’t care if you’re young or old, get together let the good times roll

While blues music has long used the term roll to suggest having sex. the phrase as Kawasaki used it has not carried that context. Roll, as in proceed or carry on. Not as in Do The Nasty, Baby.

15. Justaguy says:

Awesome commercials from the days before the PC takeover over every aspect of life. Roll on!

16. L2C says:

@ Trane Francks

One doesn’t even need to know anything about Louis Jordan or Shirley and Lee to get the double-meanings of Kawasaki’s “Good Times” ad campaigns. And your response is a fine, yet regrettable example of why merely quoting from Wikipedia is ill-advised. The least you could have done was listen to Louis Jordan’s 1946 song, which is a different song entirely to Shirley and Lee’s song from 1956, and if you had there is no way that you would have responded the way you did.

Just about anybody who grew up listening to music from the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s would know what both rock and roll and letting the good times roll means. One phrase references the other, meaning that you cannot separate the forever entwined sentiment of the two phrases. And considering that you tried to make this about etymology, but failed to cite more than one historical example other than the introductory refrain to Louis Jordan’s song, your reply is disappointing.

Considered in its historical context, the second full verse of his song makes it clear what the song references. The first full verse is about as explosive as it gets for equating money, sex, and good times with each other. Then if you listen to Shirley and Lee’s song, you realize that they took two ideas-one historical, the other current-to emphase the same sentiment that Jordan expressed ten years earlier. They updated it and brought it to a new and much younger audience. Shirley and Lee’s song gets right to the point. No beating around the bush, no political connotations. It was just a typical, yet catchy and instantly recognizable rhythm and blues song expressing one of the genre’s signature sentiments.

So fast forward to today in this era of Nicki Minaj and other sassy, risque R&B/pop stars–female and male–and there really is nothing left to the imagination, yet all of them continue on in the “rock and roll/let the good times roll” tradition.

Again, you brought up etymology and then tried to make that introductory verse to Jordan’s song the example of what you mean, when the sentiment of his song captures many things, not only just the one agreeable cherry that you picked. The era for Jordan’s band was post-WWII and post-prohibition. It was a time of subtlety and subversion, but it was also coming out of a time of raucous and sometimes illegal entertainment. Jordan’s tune was a fine example of that mentality.

But here’s the thing, if you even bothered to look at the first two commercials in the Kawasaki “Let the Good Times Roll” compilation that I posted earlier, I don’t see how you could possibly think that I and others were off base for seeing the sexual humor in Kawasaki’s slogans. In the 1970s, Kawasaki and Kawasaki’s ad agency clearly saw eye to eye on how to sell motorcycles by evoking memories of old tunes that revolved around celebrating loss of inhibition, sex, and having a good time. Three kinds of freedom, in other words. You just cannot look at the entirety of the picture and draw any other conclusions–especially when the TV ads were more blatant than anything on the air in the U. S. today.

Finally, I want you to know that this is the shortened, condensed version of a reply to you that I wrote earlier. If you want the whole enchilada, just say so.

17. Justaguy says:

“Three kinds of freedom, in other words”
    There are segments of American society that despise freedom…… well, ‘your’ freedom. They demand their own freedom as they see fit.
    Imagine the ‘outrage’ (phony outrage as I mentioned in a pervious article here) at some of what was in those commercials:
    -’unsafe riding’ (wheelies), into streams, no ATGATT.
    -stereotyping Asian’s (what I assume is a Japanese guy with his ‘kung fu’ moves…..remember how big Kung Fu was in the 70′s?!).
    -’sexism/misoginy’.
    -daring to ride off road and thus ‘destroying the planet’, that stream and maybe a crayfish or two.
    -all of those ‘whites’, especially those ‘dancing Russian’s…. what are they dancing for? Communism?! Oh the horror.
    -not enough ‘blacks’.
    -a perverted little boy peeking at someone showering outside and giggling about it.
    -Napoleon Dynamite’s ventriloquist dad….. who is obviously mentally disturbed.
    -not enough ‘other’ races
    -a clown! Which everyone is terrified of.
    -children not just being given rides but (gasp!) riding alone!
    -’rednecks’ and their country lifestyles
    -a sidecar?! In a factory commercial?!
    -a peace sign? Hippie!
    -a heavyset woman not riding very well.
    -polo?!
    -talking on your ‘radio telephone’ while riding!
    -a nun…. because Kawasaki is obviously pro-Catholic.
    -that racist gorilla, because all primates are racist. (note that they had a black cop do a double take at the gorilla, MORE racism!)
    -animal abuse (parrot in a cage on the passenger seat, using a ‘postie bike’ to round up cattle….. delicious cattle), chickens falling off of a truck, surely to be run over or taken by coyotes.
    -and the unforgivable of unforgivable’s: helmet less riders!

The movie PCU just marked it’s 20th anniversary and the inmates have definitely taken over the asylum since then. I guess they saw the movie as a playbook. I, on the other hand, cry for America.

18. If you want the whole enchilada, just say so.

Nah. I’m quite happy to hold an opposing viewpoint and have it not be the end of the world. Your points are well taken, yet I find myself with mind unchanged. Maybe it’s because I was a nice Canadian boy more concerned with beer, back bacon and wheelies, but LTGTR and GTPP just didn’t mean to me what it so obviously meant to you.

Cheers. :)

19. L2C says:

@ Trane Francks

We’re just focused on different elements of the same page. So no problem, really. Have a good one! ;-)

20. @L2C:

I think we’re both firmly in agreement that the expression can have sexual context. I think it’s only in our interpretation of Kawasaki’s marketing intent that we diverge. ’70s advertising aside (and those were such a blast from the past – wow! – especially nice to see the KZ650, one of which I owned), I’ve always associated the ‘roll’ of LTGTR with the motion of riding itself. Which is to say, I’ve always considered it to be self-referentially clever.

But maybe it isn’t and never has been. It wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong nor will it be the last time by a long shot. LOL