Harley-Davidson Q3 Sales Up 5.1% Worldwide

10/19/2011 @ 3:38 pm, by Jensen Beeler17 COMMENTS

Harley Davidson Q3 Sales Up 5.1% Worldwide Harley Davidson urban 635x423

Harley-Davidson has reported its third quarter sales and earnings to its stockholders, and the Bar & Shield brand is showing a modest up-tick in its Q3 sales. Growing 5.1% globally (61,838 units) for Q3, compared to 2010, Harley-Davidison has had similar growth in the US, where sales were up 5.4% (42,640 units). Year-to-date (YTD) sales globally were up 4.9% (194,829 units), continuing the bottoming-out trend in 2011 (up 4.7% in the US, or 127,930 units). Despite the modest sales increases, Harley-Davidson’s financials are significantly stronger than before, with the company posting a 95.9% increase in income from continuing operations.

Nearly doubling its bottom line, Harley walked away with  $183.6 million in profit the last three months, up from $88.8 million during the same time period last year. YTD net income is up 155% compared to 2010, with Harley-Davidson reporting $493.4 million in profits made thus far this year.

“We are pleased with our sustained progress and we continue to realize strong momentum in the transformation our business,” said Keith Wandell, President and Chief Executive Officer of Harley-Davidson, Inc. “Two years ago we embarked on our strategy to focus solely on the Harley-Davidson brand, provide the flexibility required in today’s market and make Harley-Davidson lean, agile and more effective than ever at delivering remarkable products and extraordinary customer experiences. Today, we continue to see the positive results of the course we have charted. The changes underway in manufacturing, product development and retail capability will increasingly enable Harley-Davidson to be customer-led like never before.”

Harley’s bottom line growth is primarily due to the work of Wandell, as the company’s restructuring efforts have cut building and operating costs, and made Harley-Davidson profitable at its current volume structure. Harley-Davidson expects to ship between 228,000 to 235,000 motorcycles to dealers and distributors worldwide in 2011, with an expectation of 45,500 to 52,500 motorcycles in Q4.

Source: Harley-Davidson

Comment:

1. MrFancyPants says:

was there a mid life crisis boom?

2. Will says:

Whoop-t-f’n doo

3. 305ed says:

So much for the giddily predicted death of a great American company. Now all the haters can munch on a big ol’ slice of humble pie…LMAO!

4. MrFancyPants says:

@305ed can you define ‘hater’ without using the word hate in the description or have it applicable towards my dislike of eggplant?

5. Richard Gozinya says:

“and make Harley-Davidson lean, agile and more effective than ever”

The first time lean and agile have ever been used to describe anything Harley, ever.

6. Halfie 30 says:

@V4 Thanks for the reality check for all the Jarley lovers. No where near out of the woods if they can’t sell bikes in their own back yard.

7. 305ed says:

@ Halfie – Buy, Buy, Buy!!!

8. Most of the bikes aren’t for me, but is it just me or isn’t the 2012 Night Rod pretty sick?? I have a Ducati Monster 1100 so maybe I’m partial to naked/non-traditional style bikes.

@Max:

Dude, i would totally HIT THAT. The new Night Rod looks even better than the Muscle, and that’s saying a lot from me.

Never liked the First Gen N-Rod tho…it looked like a Parts Bin Special for some reason.

I would take a 2012 NR over a Diavel…foolish ? Maybe…lol.

10. @MikeD

OK so I admit I test rode one. Black matte with the orange racing stripes. GRIN THE WHOLE TIME! It was much easier to maneuver than I expected.

Surprisingly, it was less powerful than I expected (then again this is compared to my Monster 1100). I suppose compared to another Harley it’s a serious rocket, so you have to be careful what the relative comparison is.

It was super comfortable and definitely got some looks… The Diavel looks just… something’s wrong about it in my point of view. It’s not nearly as sleek-looking as the Night Rod, so yeah, no folly on your part in my opinion!

The real question is if I could have only one, stick with the Monster 1100 I have now, go sleek cruiser with the Night Rod (2012 only, no prior years), or Streetfighter 848 in matte black.

Aaaand debate! :)

@Max:

Your Call…Man. LOL.

12. Richard Gozinya says:

@Max

Could always go with one of those Street Rods they had a few years back. Could probably find a good deal on a used one. Wouldn’t take that much work to get it looking like the new Night Rod. And yeah, the Night Rod line has always been the best looking of Harley’s offerings.

The Muscle on the other hand, blech. That thing looks like absolute crap. I used to think it looked fairly ugly in photos and videos, then I saw one in the wild, and it actually managed to look even worse. Just this sort of cheap, cheesy, shitty vibe. Like it was thought up by a 9 year old boy, and put together by blind people with Parkinson’s.

13. @Richard

Haha, tell us how you really feel about the Muscle, buddy!

14. Damo says:

Good for Harley, not a huge fan, but I hope they keep going and keep some jobs in the US. Never a bad thing.

Just never tell me how “fast” your sportster/v-rod is, just never :)

15. Matt says:

Harley is a great brand and a so-so bike but if I had a $20,000 Harley gift card I would be more inclined to buy HD stock. Then at least in the long run I would feel I was more likely to get my money’s worth.

16. irksome says:

“Product development”?

Oh boy, they bought more paint and chrome.