S1000RR Puts BMW in the Black for February

03/16/2010 @ 4:36 pm, by Jensen Beeler8 COMMENTS

S1000RR Puts BMW in the Black for February BMW S1000RR saves the day 560x420

While the US motorcycle market posted a 36% decline last month compared to a year ago, BMW was busy posting up some impressive numbers. The German company is reporting its February 2010 sales numbers are up 52% compared to February 2009. The main reason for the surge: the 2010 BMW S1000RR superbike, which would make BMW’s gamble of competing head-to-head with the Japanese Four a venerable victory. More after the jump.

BMW dealerships are reporting over 600 deposits on the first true superbike from Bavaria, which when coupled with strong sales from the R1200GS and R1200RT variants, has put BMW over the top on its monthly earnings. For BMW at least, the secret to success in the recession is bold moves when the competition takes the conservative route.

Mac McMath, BMW Motorrad USA Sales Manager, attributes these figures to “superior products in all segments of the market, a dedicated and expanded dealer network, and attractive financing programs from BMW Financial Services will help keep the positive momentum going in 2010.” We’d call it good business, as there is a key dissimilarity between the brands that are weathering this storm, and the ones are who are folding under the economic pressure.

Source: BMW

Comment:

1. I beg your pardon, but didn’t BMW practically invent the superbike in the 70s with the release of the R90S?

2. Jenny Gun says:

The 1970’s: when men were manly, and superbikes were super.

Would I appease the R90S Gods if I put “first modern superbike”? Or does that make it worse? ;)

3. Hayabrusa says:

Whichever way you look at it – BMW RULES!!! Bring on the inline 6!

4. No Jenny, that’s accurate. Not a big BMW guy myself but they do make some serious hardware.

5. RTRider says:

I am far to old for a “super bike’ but I must admit I do have fantasy’s of riding a S1000RR. BMW makes a superior product that have always been a little on the tech side but they have always been a dependable product and BMW and the BMW dealers do a superior job of standing behind there bikes.

6. TeeJay says:

Kyle,
    No doubt that BMW gave some serious inventions for us (many thanks for the oil-damping forks – R12, 1935), but if you want to dig in the past for the most fresh roots of the modern superbikes, I’d rather advise to look up the Honda catalog from ’69. There was a bike called CB750. Smooth inline four, with a considerable performance, disc brake on the mass produced version. The mother of all UJMs is the grandma of modern superbikes. Except, of course, for Ducati.

To be fair I add that I hail BMW: instead of crying for additional 100 cc and then another 100 cc more the Bavarians read the rulebook and built a bad-ass competitive bike. Instead of a false hiding beyond the bad volume/performance ratio of their 2cyl boxers, they stepped in the sand box of the big guys of the playground.
    Now that’s something you can call manlike behaviour.

7. Doctor Jelly says:

Rawr! Black Shadow/lightening! Rawr!

8. Johndo says:

“BMW was one of only two companies to post positive growth in 2008 (the other being Ducati), and is showing only a 22% loss in an industry that’s averaged 41% contraction for 2009.”

Unless I’m wrong I think you forgot to mention Triumph…they’ve had positive growth in the past couple of years.