BMW HP4 Gets ABS-Supported Brakes for Cornering

07/21/2014 @ 3:00 pm, by Jensen Beeler11 COMMENTS

BMW HP4 Gets ABS Supported Brakes for Cornering BMW HP4 ABS Pro 01 635x383

Stability control for motorcycles is the new rage right now, after the Bosch MSC system was announced, and made available for the KTM 1190 Adventure.

It seems BMW Motorrad is the next manufacturer to receive this new anti-locking brakes system that works while leaned over, and the BMW HP4 is the first Bavarian machine to get the upgrade.

BMW Motorrad is calling the Bosch MSC system “ABS Pro”, and it functions by adjusting the inputs to the brake calipers based on the acceleration, roll, and yaw of the motorcycle.

This avoids accidentally tucking the front-end of the motorcycling while trail braking, and also eliminates the bike standing up when the brakes are applied while in a moderate lean.

Since the HP4 already has the necessary telemetry sensors for the traction control (DTC) and electronic suspension (DDC), BMW’s premier sport bike can easily be retrofitted with ABS Pro control unit.

For those hoping to drop some lap times, we have some bad news for you. BMW says that the ABS Pro function is only available in “Rain” and “Sport” modes, and is thus not available in “Race” and “Slick” mode on the HP4.

This is because BMW Motorrad only wants ABS Pro to be used on the road, where the HP4 isn’t being ridden so close to the thin red line.

Interested BMW HP4 owners can retrofit the ABS Pro system starting in October 2014. Pricing is set at €380 in Germany, and we would expect that figure to be $500 in the USA when it becomes available.

Source: BMW

Comment:

1. Coreyvwc says:

So then it’s basically a fail safe for idiots who get scared and grab a handful of brake mid corner?
    Not a performance enhancement for someone who’s actually riding aggressively…

2. crshnbrn says:

re: “Not a performance enhancement for someone who’s actually riding aggressively…”

Aren’t there pills for that?

3. Gonzo says:

This pisses me off. Why? Because it’s not backwards compatible to my 2011 S1000RR.

@Gonzo:

I could be wrong but I think I saw on other website ( Motoblog.it ) that it would be spread thru more models in the near future.

Maybe your 2k11 model is just one software update away from it ? Maybe it lacks some specific sensor or hardware that’s crucial for it to work ? Who knows ?
    If it makes you feel any better a lot of K1600 owners thought they would be getting AT LEAST as an option the fancy quick shifter on the new and recalled W/C R1200RT.
    Guess again. NOPE. Maybe next MY (2016).

5. Mormont says:

@Gonzo

In the BMW press release they stated the ABS Pro would be available for the HP4 ‘initially’ suggesting it will be available for other models in the future.

I hope they make it available for the S1000R I just picked up. Would be nice to know you have that little extra safety net for those unexpected road hazards that can catch you off guard.

@Coreyvwc:

Our apologies for every one NOT being a VR46, Lorenzo or God forbid . . . Marquez (GASP!).

7. paulus says:

As long as all this ‘rider enhancement’ stuff is optional…. how long before it becomes mandatory?
    More increased cost on motorcycles.

8. crshnbrn says:

If/when it becomes standard, economies of scale will kick in, and the savings will be passed onto the consumer.
    ;)

9. L2C says:

crshnbrn says:

Aren’t there pills for that?

Hahahahaha….

MikeD says:

@Coreyvwc:

Are you saying that everyone else is a Pedrosa? A Bautista? A Crutchlow? … A Hector Barbera?

crshnbrn says:

;)

10. I don’t believe the S1000RR has the necessary sensors for MSC. You’ll likely see it on the R1200GS and R1200RT though, since they have DTC and DDC available as options.

11. crshnbrn says:

L2C says: “Well, I would hope that it would be a cost savings that would be passed on to consumers and not some smelly, runny brown stuff that would be passed onto them!”

Eeeww! I guess if those are the two choices, and we can’t have the cost savings, I’ll gladly pay a little more. I might even occasionally ride in such a way as to engage the Stability Control, so that I feel like I got my money’s worth.

re: “Are you saying that everyone else is a Pedrosa?”

I noticed his omission as well. Perhaps MikeD thinks Pedrosa might have broken fewer bones, and possibly won a Championship or three, had he had Stability Control. I don’t think I have to remind you what happened when his teammate disabled his Traction Control last year.