Video: In-Depth Look at the New 2011 Suzuki GSX-R750

01/18/2011 @ 2:52 pm, by Jensen Beeler9 COMMENTS

Video: In Depth Look at the New 2011 Suzuki GSX R750 2011 Suzuki GSX R750 635x452

Derek Schoeberle, our favorite Suzuki media personality, is back with a feature walk-through on the 2011 Suzuki GSX-R750 (catch his video on the 2011 Suzuki GSX-R600 as well). Like the GSX-R600, Suzuki continues to make improvements to its 750cc track weapon, namely in the form of weight reduction and mild aesthetic overhauling.

Rotating the 750cc motor backwards by 3°, Suzuki was able to shorten the wheelbase on the GSX-R750 by 15mm, and bring the front axle closer to the swingarm pivot point. With a bevy of small weight savings throughout the bike (including Brembo monobloc brakes), the new Suzuki GSX-R750 shaved 21 lbs in component weight from its bulk (a weight loss breakdown is after the jump), and tips the scales 17 lbs less than its 2010 counterpart.

The 2011 Suzuki GSX-R 600′s Diet List:

• Lighter Frame — 3 lbs
  • Lighter Swingarm — 2 lbs
  • Lighter Front Forks — 2.3 lbs
  • Lighter Wheels, Brakes, and Rear Suspension — 4.5 lbs
  • Lighter Bodywork — 7 lbs
  • Lighter Exhaust System — 2.4 lbs

Source: Suzuki

Comment:

1. Faster1 says:

As nice as it is, I’m confused by ,, why it exists. There is no direct race competition,, I can not race it in any of the 600 classes and you wouldn’t want to race in the liter classes,, so aside from a rare 750 cup series, why make a hardcore race bike? Every component is designed for the track,, and at best, it’s a hugely compromised street-bike. How can it be anything other than a huge money loser for Suzuki?
    Again, I really like it, but unless YamaHondKaw make a hyper-sports 750 again,, it’s pointless,, and I would either go 600 of 1000, like most of the world.

2. For starters the GSX-R750 has a huge cult following with track enthusiasts. And since the 750 is basically a re-sleeved GSX-R600 the two bikes share a huge number of components, making the 750 relatively cheap to mass produce.

3. Nick says:

Just like Jensen says – it is the perfect track bike for someone who doesn’t want a liter bike.

You’d have to double the cost of the 600 in aftermarket tuning to get the HP of the 750… yet the bike is only a a couple of Ks more and weighs essentially the same as the 600.

You’d have to be insane to buy GSXR600 over the 750 unless you were going to race it.

4. Den. says:

What’s an “axel” ?

5. Trent says:

Agree. The GSX-R 750 is a serious (maybe the ultimate) track weapon. On most tracks the 600 loses out to the 1000s on the straights, but the 1000 is really TOO much. The 750 is perfect.

6. Steven Oliver says:

I’d have to disagree that it has no competition. With the new onslaught of 800cc bikes from Yahama (albeit naked) this bike still presents an interesting alternative. Honestly I assume more competition is coming. I don’t expect this class to stay dormant for long. A naked 800 or a fully clothed 750?

7. Damo says:

One of my riding partners is 5’5″ and weighs about 130lbs soaking wet, he is a huge GSXR750 fan. He likes the near liter power of the 750 packed into the small frame of a 600. That is his reason anyway.

I agree that Suzuki has to lose money on this bike, just due to the “middle-ground” location in the market demographic. I feel the same way about the Yamaha FZ8. Why the hell would you buy the FZ8 over the FZ1? It is almost the same bike at a very close price point.

8. Odie says:

I think bikes like the 848 and maybe the new MV Agusta F3 will be entering the niche occupied by the GSXR750. Seems to me the GSXR750 is solidly aimed at the hardcore trackday set. I don’t think the FZ8 is really in the same league as the Suzuki. At least on the track.

I think there is a really big hole between 600s and liter bikes. I mean liter bikes are insane these days. 175hp for the detuned US ZX10R?!?!? Geezus!

9. mdub says:

I don’t think they lose money at all on the 750. They are the only producer of a 750cc repli racer so the market is all theirs. There are a growing number of people who know that a 1000cc is too much to start out with and you can outgrow a 600 so the 750 is the logical choice, and being the only one out there, the world is yours. I am willing to bet that Suzuki sells just as many 750’s as 600’s or 1000’s. They don’t have to be on the track to make money for Suzuki if they are all over the streets which they are including my 2005.