Jake Holden Explains How to Slide a Supermoto

01/31/2014 @ 11:59 am, by Jensen Beeler8 COMMENTS

Jake Holden Explains How to Slide a Supermoto jake holden supermoto slide 635x423

You may have heard of Jake Holden, AMA Pro Racer, and Pikes Peak International Hill Climb summitter — if you haven’t watched the video series on the latter, we have a Friday treat for you. Jake is a dirt tracker by origin though, so it should come as no surprise that the 30-year-old feels right at home on a supermoto bike.

A genre of motorcycling that is best known for its rear-wheel sliding, Jake gives you newbs a quick run down on how to back it into a corner with the following video. Downshift a couple gears, load the front, apply some rear brake, and turn…it’s just that easy, right? The answer you are looking for is a definite no.

However, if you decide to do some homework on Jake’s lesson plan, please take it to the track, wear all your safety gear, carry health insurance, and send us the video. We’ll make a 1980′s montage out of it, or something.

Source: On The Throttle TV via Motorcycle.com

Comment:

1. MeatyBeard says:

Could watch all day.

2. yung says:

See, easy.

3. Chaz Michael Michaels says:

Instructions on how to kill self on motorcycle: zoom into corner; pull clutch; bang some downshifts; release clutch; pull front brake; now some rear brake; try both brakes; now modulate; brace for impact.

4. Good lord, that looks like fun. <3

5. Bryan Niese says:

Great video. I’ve had the Nicky Hayden video that he refers to on my favorite list for a long time. It’s a classic of him riding when he was still on Honda factory team. Max Biaggi is also in it.

6. Jaime Ramos says:

Don’t like to see making the corners on a supermoto bike dragging the knee, a prefer the old fashion way, foot down,

Here’s one movie from one of the best guys ever in Supermoto races, Boris Chambon

7. CM says:

I thought the way to do it was to get on the power, not the brakes.

8. Jason says:

You start getting the back out with engine braking and the rear brake. That is what gets the back end out and lets the bike scrub off speed during corner entry. The real tricky part is transitioning from sliding the back under braking to sliding it under power on the corner exit. Too much power and the back slides out and the bike low-sides. Too little power and the rear gets traction with the back way out and the bike high-sides.

I’ve done a little bit of super moto racing and haven’t got it down yet. I generally go around corners with my knee down sportbike style. I’ve never ridden off-road so I’m not used to the bike sliding and moving around under me. It is amazing to be out on the track watching guys (and gals) that hit that very fine line between the perfect slide and crashing corner after corner.