Rumors of an FIM e-Power and TTXGP merger have been quietly floating around for the past week, and before we could report on those whispers of the event, the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme has scooped us with the story that it has been holding conversations with the folks at TTXGP regarding the two series running joint events during the 2011 electric motorcycle season, with a possible final joint Championship to take place at the end of the year.
Sources close to the talks have told Asphalt & Rubber that a merger between the two series is imminent, with many of the stakeholders already signing-off on the deal. The likely outcome would be a series that lives on with the e-Power name, promoted by none other than Dorna Motor Sports, of MotoGP media fame. The FIM’s impetus seems to be in consolidating the two diverging series, and finally integrating them into established professional road racing.
Conversely, TTXGP will be able to find a financial exit from the rumored deal, something its investors will surely be happy to see. TTXGP has been able to piggyback off of local and club racing events, making deals with the tracks themselves, rather than the organizing bodies, in an effort to expand rapidly. While TTXGP has seen push-back from the Isle of Man TT, FIM, and AMA, the series has proven to be more adept at marketing itself than the FIM with its e-Power.
More on this as we get it, for now both parties are only admitting to the fact that they are talking about “collaborating” with one another. Joint statement from the FIM & TTXGP after the jump, along with their 2011 racing calendars.
In a spirit of collaboration and with the common goal of promoting electric clean emission racing, the FIM and TTXGP have opened the possibility of holding a selection of joint rounds to allow the teams the best possible stage to promote the sport, the technology and the message to the next generation of motorcycle sport. In addition, further discussions also include the wish to celebrate the conclusion of the 2011 season with a single, unifying final event in October.
FIM e-Power Championship 2011 Racing Calendar:
- April 16th-17th – Magny Cours (FRA) Bol d’Or – FIM WC Endurance
- May 14th-15th – Schleiz (GER) – FIM WC Sidecars
- June 18th-19th – Hungaroring (HUN) – FIM WC Sidecars
- July 23rd-24th – TBA
- August 20th-21st – Donington Park (GBR) – FIM WC Endurance, WC Sidecars*
- September 24th-25th – Le Mans (FRA) – 24 Hours of Le Mans – FIM WC Endurance*
TTXGP European Championship 2011 Racing Calendar:
- June 18th-19th – Silverstone (GBR)
- July 1st-2nd – SPA Francorchamps (BEL)
- August 6th-7th – Assen (NLD)
- August 20th-21st – Donington Park (GBR) TBC*
- September 3rd-4th – Karlskoga (SWE)
- September 23rd-24th – Le Mans (FRA) TBC*
TTXGP North America Championship 2011 Racing Calendar:
- May 14th-15th – Infineon Raceway (USA)
- July 16th-17th – Portland International Raceway (USA) (TBC)
- Round 3 – TBC
- August 13th-14th – VIRginia International Raceway (USA)
eFXC/TTXGP Australian Superbike Championship 2011 Racing Calendar:
- May 29th-June 1st – Wakefield Park Raceway (NSW) TEST
- July 1st-3rd – Eastern Creek Raceway (NSW)
- September 2nd-04th – Winton Raceway (VIC)
- October 8th-9th – Wakefield Park Raceway (NSW) TBC
TTXGP World Final 2011:
- October – TBC*
*Events between FIM & TTXGP that have an overlap.