It might not have been the sales disaster that many make it out to have been, but Pierre Terblanche’s Ducati 999 remains one of the most controversial machines ever to come out of Borgo Panigale. However, the more we look at the 999′s staked-headlight and double-sided swingarm design, two of the biggest design elements that Ducatisti took umbrage with at the bike’s launch, the more we think that the Ducati 999 Superbike will become a collector’s classic, and stand as a unique time in the Italian brand’s history.
So, it warms out hearts to see that there are people out there still building off of Terblanche’s work, and one of them is Bryan Petersen at Arete Americana and his Ducati 999 CF. Sporting a tail and tank from Radical Ducati (Arete Americana is the North American distributor for the Spanish firm), along with a singe-sided swingarm conversion from an 848, the Ducati 999 CF is our kind of custom: subtle, yet to the point, and Arete Americana has ensured that all the right go-fast bits were included in the build.
Helping give the bike its name, the Arete Americana Ducati 999 CF has carbon fiber fairings from Ducati Performance, while the RAD solo-seat is self-supporting and is too made from carbon fiber. Titanium bits abound, including a titanium steering stem nut. Petersen also built a custom one-off exhaust for their Ducati 999 CF build, which sneaks out underneath the lower fairing, and features individual tubes for each cylinder.
Arete Americana Ducati 999 CF Technical Specifications:
- Ducati Superbike 999R frame
- Brembo RCS masters
- HP race rotors
- 32/36 billet machined monoblock radical calipers
- 34mm billet machined endurance rear caliper w/custom mount
- TOBY steering damper
- Ohlins FGRT210 30mm Front end
- Ohlins 1098s rear shock w/DP adjuster
- Forged Aluminum Marchesini wheels
- One-off 57mm stainless exhaust w/SLR style outlet
- 848 Swingarm
- Yoyodyne slipper clutch
- Rizoma clutch and sprocket cover color matched to the machined case covers
- One-off Carbon fairings
- Custom Radical Ducati carbon tank
- Self-supporting Carbon solo tail (weighing 2lbs)
- Custom carbon seat pan with leather and suede double-stitched seat held down by 8 custom made, color-matched grommets
- Ti everything