Just last week we were lamenting the lack of popularity of supermoto racing in the United States, and this week we hear that the American Motorcyclist Association has thrown its weight behind the folks at USA Supermoto.
Forming the AMA Supermoto National Championship Series, supermoto racing now has a nationwide pro series at its disposal, with six races on its inaugural calendar. We are pretty pumped to here supermoto racing process to the National level in the USA. We highly recommend you attend a race if one is by you in 2014.
“Supermoto is an amazing sport to watch and an even more amazing sport to compete in,” said AMA Vice President of Operations Jeff Massey. “Since the beginning, supermoto has needed a true grass-roots network U.S. [sic] to help sustain the top level of competition. This series will help accomplish that goal by giving today’s amateur and sportsman-level competitors a place to race, feeding the sport with expert-level talent going forward, and providing a showcase for sponsors and teams active in the discipline.”
“We had a great inaugural season in 2013, and we’re excited to step up our program for the new season as an AMA National Championship Series,” said Matt Stewart, President of USA Supermoto, the AMA’s promoting partner for the series. “We have been working with the AMA for some time to strengthen supermoto racing in the United States, and everything has been positive. We’re looking forward to watching our racers compete for AMA national No. 1 plates in 2014.”
2014 AMA Supermoto National Championship Series Calendar:
- March 7: Las Vegas, Nev. Caesars Palace, in conjunction with Stadium Super Trucks*
- April 19-20: Lake Havasu City, Ariz., SARA Park
- May 30-June 1: Elkhart Lake, Wis., in conjunction with AMA Pro Racing Road Race Championship Series
- July 5-6: Denver, Colo., in conjunction with NASCAR event
- July 26-27: Salt Lake City, Utah, during Bike Jam at Miller Motorsports Park
- Sept. 13-14: Sturgis, S.D., downtown street race
* Open and 250 class only.