Video: 90 Years of BMW Motorcycles in 90 Seconds

03/07/2013 @ 2:52 pm, by Jensen Beeler9 COMMENTS

Video: 90 Years of BMW Motorcycles in 90 Seconds BMW R32 635x400

Producing motorcycles since 1923, BMW Motorrad is celebrating 90 years of Bavarian-made two-wheeled machines, and wants everyone to know about it. The capstone for the 90th anniversary will be a special air-cooled four-valve boxer-twin BMW motorcycle that is expected to be a modern-take on the iconic BMW R32.

So far, zie Germans have been tight-lipped on the new model, though details are expected to roll out later this year. Until then, we have other media teasers and highlights to enjoy, like this 90 second video, which compresses down 90 years of BMW motorcycle manufacturing into a web-acceptable form.

Source: BMW Motorrad (YouTube)

Comment:

1. m says:

i think it interesting that over 1/3 of those vintage shots are of a true off road (what we’d today call a motocross or dirt)bike. whereas today- i think the sentiment after the dumping of the husqvarna brand was- “we’ll NEVER go THERE again!”

touring, some dirt roads so rich old folks can feel like the’ve had an ‘adventure’, sure… but never a solid full on dirt/race bike a la ktm/crfr/etc

2. RJJR says:

So many ugly motorcycles.

3. AGP says:

Pretty damn awesome! :)

@RJJR:

ROTFLMAO. Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

Most of them anyways. I find myself drooling at the K1600GT or R1200RT at every given chance…TALK ABOUT DELUSIONAL DAY DREAMING when i can hardly afford a $5k “transportation” (4wheeled kind).
    C’mon PowerBall ! … (-_-)’

5. Archer says:

Odd… not much there between 1933 and 1945. Wonder why?

6. paulus - Thailand says:

Where is all the cool WW2 stuff. The funky front ends and side car combos?
    Regardless of the period it was part of the history….

7. Gritboy says:

I never really dug BMW motos as a kid. I kind of liked the R100RS and K100RS in the 1980s, but it wasn’t until I went adventuring riding with some 1100GS’ that I suddenly had a hankering for a big BMW adventure bike. Still, their years of pedigree and that boxer engine – up until S1000RR came out – has certainly left a mark on motorcycle history.

8. L2C says:

Remember Val Kilmer’s 80’s classic ‘Real Genius’? I think the model in the screenie is the same one that was used in the movie. Same color too. Nerdcore!

9. Norm G. says:

re: “Regardless of the period it was part of the history”

a worst part of history the germans have rightly chosen to put behind them.