Are you getting into Austin early for the Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas? Maybe you’re already there, sitting on 6th St. sipping down a cool beverage? May we recommend then that you set aside some time on Thursday, and head to the Circuit of the Americas race track for the Day of Stars, a special event put on by Riders for Health.
The official charity of MotoGP, and a cause near and dear to our A&R hearts, Riders for Health puts on two special events, one in the US and one in the UK, which give fans unprecedented access to the grand prix experience.
It goes without saying then that the Day of Stars event is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet MotoGP stars, see the paddock and team boxes, and of course to hangout and talk motorcycles with Randy Mamola.
Having been to the British version of the event, the Day of Champions, and of course a veteran of its US counterpart, I can say that our Day of Stars is by far the better opportunity. A significantly smaller group size, the Day of Stars is a more intimate event, with plenty of face time with the GP riders and your fellow enthusiasts.
I can’t think of a better tour guide than Randy Mamola either, as the American road racer has an keen knowledge of the latest paddock gossip, an astute technical eye for the machinery, and a charismatic personality — he will probably want to be your bff afterwards.
For 2014, Riders for Health has also added a ride on the Circuit of the Americas race course for Day of Stars participants – a treat since the Texan public has limited opportunities throughout the year to ride COTA. For bonus points, at the end of the day there is an auction of exclusive prizes, usually signed by the riders.
Tickets are pricy at $500 a pop, but $375 of that goes directly into the the Riders for Health coffers, and goes towards the charity’s great work in Africa. When you consider what that price gets you in terms of access, autographs, photos, and experience, it is a pretty good bargain. Hopefully we’ll see you there, I’ll be giving you free high-fives to the first 10 A&R readers.
The schedule for the 2014 Day of Stars at the Circuit of the Americas is as follows:
- 10.30 – Arrive at the circuit for registration at the Velocity Lounge.
- 11.00 – Brunch and a brief introduction to Riders for Health at the Paddock Lounge.
- 12.30 – 13.30 – Pit lane tour with Randy Mamola – opportunity to meet riders.
- 13.30 – 15.15 – Exclusive access to the paddock for 100 people.
- 15.15 – Return to Paddock lounge for coffee and track briefing.
- 16.00 – Track time – your chance to ride on the track that will host MotoGP.
- 16.45 – Auction in the Velocity Lounge – bid for some amazing experiences and signed memorabilia.