This 1913 Premier 3 1/2hp 3 speed motorcycle was the oldest example of British two-wheeled freedom at the 2009 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
Premier Motorcycles was originally founded as a bicycle manufacturer by W.H. Herbrt and William Hillman in 1876. Its first motorcycle was produced in 1908, with a White & Poppe side-valve engine, and Chater-Lea front forks.
The company made its first v-twin in 1909 in Coventry, the center for British motorcycle and automobile manufacturing. A 499cc single-cylinder machine followed in 1910. After World War ! the company did not resume motorcycle production; it was acquired by Singer & Company, and automobile manufacturer. In 1921, Premier motorcycle production was continued in Czechoslovakia through the 1930’s.