Officially official now, BMW Motorrad has taken the wraps off its new BMW R nineT cafe racer motorcycle. Helping the German brand celebrate 90 years of building motorcycles, the nineT is an air-cooled homage to BMW’s rich motorcycling past.
Based around the iconic 1,170cc air-cooled boxer engine that BMW has employed in a number of its best selling machines, the BMW R nineT is good for 108hp and 88 lbs•ft of torque.
With styling said to be based off the legandary BMW R32 from 1923, the nineT has more traditional cafe racer lines, mated to some of BMW’s best technology.
BMW hopes that the production model R nineT will be the basis for more custom builds though, citing the company’s collaboration with Roland Sands for the BMW Concept Ninety project as one such project to use the nineT’s roots for inspiration.
Accordingly, BMW Motorrad has a litany of customization options available as official accessories, not to mention the offerings available from third-parties.
More importantly, the German OEM says that the BMW R nineT was designed with customizers in mind, and has made numerous chassis and design choices to aid in people customizing the nineT to their tastes — a decision that harkens back to the machines original “LoRider” modular motorcycle design concept.
BMW Motorrad Lists the Highlights of the BMW R nineT as the Following:
- Puristic design.
- Hand-built feel of the workmanship.
- Air/oil-cooled twin-cylinder boxer engine with a displacement of 1,170 cc. Output 81 kW (110 hp) at 7,750 rpm, maximum torque 119 Nm (88 lb-ft) at 6,000 rpm.
- Ideally suited to customisation.
- Modular frame concept with removable pillion frame and frame end-piece.
- Classic wheel suspension concept using high-quality upside-down telescopic fork at the front and paralever at the rear.
- Exhaust system with two silencers on the left-hand side, with variation options.
- Traditional wire-spoke wheels with black rims and hubs.
- Radial 4-piston monoblock brake callipers, steel-braided brake lines and floating 320 mm brake discs.
- Model plate riveted onto steering head in classic BMW Motorrad style.
- Bespoke range of special accessories made to BMW Motorrad’s customary high standards of quality.
Source: BMW Mottorad