If you are anything like me, you can’t wait to take a few laps around the new Circuit of the Americas (COTA) facility outside of Austin, Texas. The only purpose-built GP course in the United States, COTA will host MotoGP for the first time ever this April, giving motorcycle racing fans three races in the United States this year.
If MotoGP is anything like Formula One, then COTA will also attract a number of international fans as well, as last year’s F1 race attracted a number of Mexican fans, along with a number of fans from Latin and South America — so much so that CRT-rider Yonny Hernandez might have to consider COTA his home round.
While Asphalt & Rubber will make the trek out to Texas later this year to see MotoGP race at this new circuit, and witness first-hand the dinosaur-shaped observation tower, tastefully painted curbs, and general Southern hospitality, that fresh tarmac beckons us.
Taking a few laps on this 20-turn circuit will be difficult though, as COTA offers only a limited-number of dates for track rentals, and more importantly, the going rental price is $50,000 per day (lunch included). Ouch!
For that money though, one will get to apex on the same turns as Jorge Lorenzo and Sebastian Vettel, as well as the following perks:
- Exclusive use of the Circuit of The Americas full Grand Prix road racing course.
- Pit access, designated paddock loft access, garage access and track access for an entire day.
- Bring your cars and your friends – your group can include up to 24 people.
- Fully staffed track, including track manager, driving instructor, timing system, corner workers and emergency workers.
- Create your own experience: structured race program with practice, qualifying and race session (timed or open racing) or create your own agenda.
- Catered lunch.
- Transportation to track from Austin area hotel.
- Concierge service for hotel, dinner reservations, spa and shopping.
Source: Circuit of the Americas