Another year, and another April Fools Day is in the bag. I am fairly certain that for journalists, April 1st is better than Christmas, as it marks the one day where media outlets make the news the wish they could report on daily. And as usual, the imaginations of the motorcycle media pool didn’t fail to disappoint.
As usual, David had a timely piece on MotoGP adopting regulations that govern aerodynamics, namely that a spec-winglet shape would be entering into racing starting in 2017. The Grand Prix Commission has already banned winglets in Moto2 and Moto3 for next season, so there was some precedent already for this story.
Less of a product review, and more of a satirical rant that focused on that guy at your next track day, we ran a story about the Dainese “D-Bag” luggage. The bags are made by Ogio, and are actually very good. I have two Ogio Rig 9800 bags, for some reason, and would highly recommend them or Dainese’s branded version.
Our last April Fools story was about Honda patenting a three-stroke engine design, which seemed to be very popular and catch more than a couple readers unaware. There is such a thing as a three-stroke engine…sort of…you can read its description here, but don’t expect Big Red to adopt the design any time soon.
How about from the rest of the industry though? In case you missed them, the highlights of April Fools Day are after the jump.
- CHRISTINI All Wheel Drive to Launch II-Track Snow Utility Bike – Christini (photo above)
- Bell Patents Helmet with Hole for Man-Bun – BikeWriter
- American Firm Making Motorcycle Tank, Cremation Urns – MotoFire
- RevZilla Launches Sales of Used Motorcycles – RevZilla
- Dorna Allows MotoGP Helmet and Suit Winglets – Ultimate Motorcycling
- BMW GS Survival Tool – BMW Motorrad
- MV Agusta Not Bankrupt, Starts Selling Special Edition Bikes – AutoEvolution
- Lindemann Engineering Finds The Answer To Life, The Universe, And Everything – Lindemann Engineering
- Trump EBR Agusta Motorcycle Company – Motorcycle.com
See any more good April Fools jokes that we missed? Leave them in the comments!