Video: Sometimes It’s Just Not Your Day…

05/22/2013 @ 12:55 pm, by Jensen Beeler29 COMMENTS

Video: Sometimes Its Just Not Your Day... russian motorcycle crash 635x423

The old adage with motorcycles is that it’s not if you crash, but when you crash. That is because over an infinite amount of time, your chances of riding a motorcycle without crashing drop to zero — if not but for the simple fact that you cannot control the actions of others.

Take for example our unfortunate Russian friend here, who had the misfortune of crossing over a path of diesel/oil/coolant left by a car on a highway off-ramp. Obeying all the laws of the road, he still ended rubber-side-up on the roadway, and left to pick-up the pieces after the crash…literally.

It is sort of a surreal video with the music choice, but serves as a good PSA for the ATGATT movement. Luckily this rider was able to walk away relatively unscathed, and his bike will live to ride another day as well. Be careful out there folks.

Source: Motor Pasion Moto

Tagged under: , , , ,

Comment:

1. Dan says:

Damn. A perfect reminder that there is no proven way to avoid all risks.

2. Westward says:

That’s why it’s called an accident, unless one meant to do it on purpose…

Makes me think of all the cool kids riding without helmets. Reminds me of a line in LOTR, ” Go now and die in what manner seems best for you…”

3. smoke says:

Crap luck. Looks like something leaked a long smear of slippery shit down the road. I wonder what brand of top case that is so I don’t ever buy one.

4. 310driver says:

I got caught out on spilled diesel from a farm tractor or a truck with a fuel leak a couple of years ago. My accident looked scarily similar to this. I was barely in a turn and went down faster than I ever could have imagined. I remember yelling WTF inside of my helmet as I was tumbling down the road. There is ZERO traction on fresh diesel fuel on blacktop. I was OK and the bike was ready to roll in short order but sucks I couldn’t pin it on the asshat that spilled the fuel in the middle of the turn! ATTGAT for life!

5. Gritboy says:

Always assume residue or debris from other vehicles is in the middle of any lane.

6. nakdgrl says:

Notice how the cars stopped, but the only one to get out and help was another motorcyclist. We gotta stick together cause no one else gives a damn.

7. sideswipeasaurus says:

Yow. Yes in after accident analysis we see exactly why we should stay out of the center of the lane. Knowing before hand that there was going to be an accident it was easy to look for and see that slick down the center of the roadway. I just recently had an off similarly not keeping to road scripture and cut too close to the inside of a corner and found sand and gravel where it customarily congregates. Similar results. Happens to the best of us and the rest of us.

8. area51 says:

My endorsement instructor told my class about the same kind of thing happening to him and his group here in Florida. Anything can happen. Be alert! Stay safe!

9. mariofz1 says:

Been there, done that…My welcome to Miami was diesel fuel on one of the few and fun turns this city offer. Good thing I was chilling that day and instead going my usual speed, 55 , I doing 35 when I noticed the slick but was too late….A hole in my hand and a my posterior…bike was parked for a month waiting for parts….no, unfortunately you can’t control everything, you can only try….and wear your gear !

10. Ouch. That had to hurt. It’s easy to armchair from afar, but avoid the centre of the lane. All manner of crap ends up there. Bah. Poor guy.

11. motomuso says:

Seems he failed to read the road surface and took the exact line of the spill. Does it look like he may have lost the rear a bit while braking before the turn at 00:10? That could have been a clue the road was oily. I’m not saying I’m a perfect rider; we all make mistakes and I have low-sided in a similar situation to sideswipasaurus.
    I’m glad he wasn’t hurt. It was also good to see another rider coming to his aid.

12. andrey says:

I watched this carefully and perhaps I am just fortunate but at 10 or 11 seconds into the vid I spotted the shiny arc in the middle of the lane and then easily saw the next big shiny line… he rode right into it. Perhaps he looked elsewhere momentarily… poor guy.

13. Alasdair says:

Glad to hear he was ok. from the cam you could easily see the slick but agree perhaps his eyes themselves were elsewhere. I usually ride in the middle of the lane because I get the impression that the driver in front will see me better in their rear view mirror but after watching this hell no. I wouldn’t have missed that slick though

14. BBQdog says:

Never seen something stupid like this. You can clearly see the oil track and even if it wasn’t an oiltrack an experienced cyclist would never ride over such marks.

15. crashtd says:

No point in crying over spilled milk….GET IT?!??!

16. Nerve says:

The problem with this type of accident is that instead of applying what you’ve learned “keep your eyes on the corner’s exit” you tend to look at the surface quality as it comes in your eyes focus. You all know how bad that habit is. The exit-theory can only be applied in confidence on a track day I’m afraid.

When in midcorner I always hear Keith Code say : if you haven’t made a mistake, stick to the plan (ie keep the chain under tension and look to the outside, throttle control chapter basically).

17. Chaz Michael Michaels says:

… can’t help but wonder when I watch this: what would Marc Marquez do?

18. ML says:

The ‘cagers’ did care enough to talk to him… you can tell as just about all of them had their window down and were attempting to communicate with him. If he were still on the road, I’m sure they would have stepped out to help.

Honestly, it was clear that there was a patch of oil in the middle of the road. The rider probably fixated on the streak and road right into it.

Glad to know he’s okay… I’m sure he’s out there riding again…

19. Chaz Michael Michaels says:

“The old adage with motorcycles is that it’s not if you crash, but when you crash.”

And people still choose to ride in shorts and flip flops…or “fight for their right” to not wear a helmet.

20. TonyC says:

Holy crap! I rode thru the same thing a few years ago. I was merging from one freeway to get on another freeway. The on-ramp is a fast sweeping turn with speed limit of 45. As I leaned toward my right to go thru that sweeping turn, I noticed an oil spill about 2 feet wide and about 20 feet long. The line I was taking it taking me right thru it…

I didn’t have time to brake so I just stood my bike up and rode right thru it. Clutch in and tried to go as straight as I could. I felt the rear tire slid side to side for a bit. I ended up riding into the left shoulder gravel area. Had to change underwear after that….

21. Shinigami says:

I hate the negative mental game played by the “it’s inevitable” crowd.

Mental management 101, people, if you accept a negative outcome your odds of experiencing one soar into the stratosphere.

This WAS an avoidable accident, it’s not as if there was a swath of diesel/coolant/Vagisil across the entire surface.

22. Westward says:

@ Chaz MM

He would use a lot of elbow and knee to try and save….

23. sideswipeasaurus says:

Nerve brings up a great point that I often encounter on the road. Correct riding has you looking where you want to go and up the road on the exit of any turn. I too find that doesn’t always apply on the street. I’m often changing focus back and forth between where I want to go and trying to keep an eye on road conditions as they come into view. For me the trick is not to spend too much time on the up close view as I fear that may result target fixation and over dramatic focus on where my tires will be in the next second or two. Lately I’ve added scanning road surfaces to the share of other glances taken like mirror checks. The street is a busy place for the eyes.

24. TRL says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is just an example of a simple lack of experience. To be fair, Russia is a country without the strong history of personal vehicle ownership or driver training that we are used to. In addition, the roads are not fabulous and, from my experience, there is no translation for the ideas of “vehicle inspection” or “traffic control” (all four lanes of the boulevard next to you turning left across traffic and all 5 lanes of the opposing lanes turning left across traffic with you AT THE SAME TIME, why yes thank you very much!).

Although the upside is that you do find that the pedestrians are surprisingly fast.

Good times…..

25. PeteN95 says:

It’s a good idea to stay to the inside on curving on and off ramps because fuel and oil is thrown to the outside!

26. mxs says:

Wow tough crowd here … AAR audience are only good riders and bunch of really good statisticians, eh?

Don’t kid yourself that it cannot happen to you. Surely your ego would be bruised and you would never post about it, would you? You know who am I talking about ….

Reminds me, when people do a slow motion replay and pick a referee up the stuff he has not seen when played full speed …

27. TRL says:

@mxs

And how many of AAR readers are old enough to remember what the roads looked like 30 years ago. These days the center of the lane, the far side of the bump, and the outside of the turn are, generally, pretty damn clean. For the most part, the fluids stay in cars and trucks, not so much 30 years ago…

Damn kids don’t know how lucky they are!

28. mxs says:

True, not many I assume …. the digital kids, you know … lOL

29. TexusTim says:

wow that guy is lucky he didnt go under that gaurdail and really get hurt….leeson of the day? watch the roadaway he might have missed it had he saw it…juts sayn even though it is not his fault whatsoever things can be avoided if attentive when ridding…just glad he walked away from it.