Zero Motorcycles has made the logical next step in its bike line-up by now offering a Supermoto version of its electric dirtbike, the Zero X. Zero has added 17″ street tires and a projector headlamp to make the transition necessary from dirt-track to city streets. With 31 horses and 62.5 lb-ft of torque instantly available, the clutchless one-speed “S” should make it up to 60 mph. Its four kWh battery lasts up to 60 miles, and can be recharged with the integrated charger, which will charge the battery up in less than four hours.
Zero Motorcycles is now accepting orders with deliveries beginning in early May. Buyers have the option of either putting down $1,000 now or writing a check for the full $9,950 purchase price. You can have it shipped straight to your door anywhere in the continental U.S. for $500, although that freight fee will be higher for international buyers.
Zero Motorcycles Supermoto Features:
Frame / Bodywork:
Aircraft grade aluminum is exclusively used in the construction of the lightweight and rigid Zero S twin spar frame. One look at the frame and it speaks for itself. It is aggressive, strong and one of the main reasons that the Zero S can take on anything in an urban environment. Designed to have a low center of gravity, the Zero S is highly maneuverable and responsive. The body is completed using custom injected molded plastics to give it aerodynamics and aggressive supermoto styling.
- Frame and bodywork designed from the ground up by Zero Motorcycles
- Extremely rigid and lightweight twin spar aircraft grade aluminum frame
- Custom injected molded plastics for aggressive styling and aerodynamics
- Designed to have a low center of gravity for better maneuverability and responsiveness
Power Pack / Electronics:
Years of development and proprietary Z-Force™ technology make the Zero S a leader in acceleration, range and longevity. Using an advanced monitoring system, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled during charge and discharge. The onboard charger integrates into this system and uses a specially developed charge profile to optimize the power pack’s recharge time. Using isolated power systems the Zero S uses a standard 12 volt current to run the dash, lighting and other on board accessories.
- Proprietary Z-Force™ power pack for increased acceleration and range
- Redundant safety features to accommodate extreme conditions
- Isolated power systems and 12 volt system for running accessories
- Onboard charger that uses a specially developed charge profile
- Keyed ignition tied to a solenoid switch for a safe and instant power up
Wheels and Brakes:
The Zero S wheels are engineered to minimize unsprung weight and reduce rotating mass. Designed specifically for the Zero S, the lightweight construction includes custom hubs, spokes, and rotors. To maximize overall wheel strength the hub is configured to use straight pull spokes. The resulting wheel is lighter, stronger and more responsive.
- Specially developed high performance wheel set
- Aggressive profile street tires
- Custom designed hubs for reduced weight and maximum wheel strength
- High strength/lightweight strait pull spokes
- ‘Shark tooth’ brake rotors for increased heat dissipation
- Full float calipers – 4 pot front, 2 pot rear
- Custom foot actuated rear and hand actuated front brake
The suspension on the Zero S was developed by Zero to take advantage of the motorcycles’ lightweight design. Its inverted front fork is among the lightest in the industry and can be externally adjusted to dial in compression and rebound damping. A rigid double diamond rear swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a Fox rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping.
- Zero designed lightweight front end (lightest in the industry)
- Inverted front fork to reduce unsprung weight
- Fully adjustable rebound and compression damping on the front
- Fox rear shock with adjustable spring preload and damping
- Unique double diamond aircraft grade aluminum rear swingarm for reduced weight and increased torsional rigidity
Dash / Lights:
The dash is designed by Zero to quickly and accurately provide information on speed, charge and motor temperature. In the evening the dash lights up with the flip of a switch and is accompanied by a unique aggressively styled ‘projector beam’ headlight that emits focused light for increased visibility.
- Digital and analog speed display
- Motor temperature sensor
- Unique ‘projector beam’ headlight for high visibility and more focused light dispersal
A clutchless one speed, the Zero S is geared for rapid acceleration and increased efficiency. Using a direct chain drive and hardened alloy sprockets the Zero S is able to achieve minimal frictional loss. This increases the overall range and channels power into speed.
- Clutchless one speed
- Geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency
Source: Zero Motorcycles